News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Visiting Ireland?

Started by Faeelin, November 22, 2009, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

So, some friends and I are debating going to Ireland for Spring Break. (Woo, wet wool sweater contests!)

However, I'm not sure I'd enjoy the country; I always enjoy visiting Scotland, but I have family there and find British history much more fascinating than Ireland's "we suck forever". And Ireland has fewer people than the New York metropolitan area, so I don't really know how much there is to do...

Advice?

HisMajestyBOB

Do something more interesting, like hiking the Inca Trail, going horseback riding in Mongolia, take the midnight express into Istanbul, etc.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

PDH

My advice is to go to Dakar and see that monument.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

My sister and her friend spent a trip in the UK once; 5 days in Ireland, and 2 days in London.
She wished it had been the other way around.

Darth Wagtaros

Start in Cape Town and bike or hitchhike to Kamchatka. 
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Melancholy drunks and overcast.  I can think of better ways to spend a spring break.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 22, 2009, 11:15:19 PM
My sister and her friend spent a trip in the UK once; 5 days in Ireland, and 2 days in London.
She wished it had been the other way around.

Yeah, 2 days isn't nearly enough for London. However, it may be all you can afford.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Richard Hakluyt

Nothing wrong with Ireland but it's probably the wrong place for a shortish break. London would be a much better place to spend your spring break.

The Larch

It also depends if you're planning to hit Dublin or some god forsaken town in the middle of County Sligo.

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 23, 2009, 03:21:45 AM
Nothing wrong with Ireland but it's probably the wrong place for a shortish break. London would be a much better place to spend your spring break.
It's also got hugely expensive since it went over to the Euro, so your cash wouldn't go much further than in London.

Eddie Teach

Stay home and do your papers/reading.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Cerr

Quote from: Faeelin on November 22, 2009, 10:41:29 PM
So, some friends and I are debating going to Ireland for Spring Break. (Woo, wet wool sweater contests!)

However, I'm not sure I'd enjoy the country; I always enjoy visiting Scotland, but I have family there and find British history much more fascinating than Ireland's "we suck forever".
It depends on what your interests are as to whether it's worth visiting but if you seriously think that's all there is to Irish history, I don't think you should come here, we don't need any more ignorant idiots.

Josquius

Its a jolly nice country.
Just...not all that much to see.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

I think I'd like to go to Ireland on vacation.  I like taters, I like Guinness, and I like fisticuffs.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Cerr on November 23, 2009, 08:12:47 AM
It depends on what your interests are as to whether it's worth visiting but if you seriously think that's all there is to Irish history, I don't think you should come here, we don't need any more ignorant idiots.
True.  Ignorant idiots to Ireland is like coals to Newcastle.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!