News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

languish meet in Italy : 7 - 11 May

Started by Richard Hakluyt, March 30, 2009, 02:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Hehe, that altitude is just a bit higher than where I live.  7220 feet altitude, even Katmai survived here.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

katmai

Quote from: PDH on April 09, 2009, 12:43:51 PM
Hehe, that altitude is just a bit higher than where I live.  7220 feet altitude, even Katmai survived here.

I was born in city at 5,281 ft./1,609 m and lived in Breckenridge 9,603 ft./ 2,927 m <_<
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

Quote from: katmai on April 09, 2009, 01:00:45 PM
I was born in city at 5,281 ft./1,609 m and lived in Breckenridge 9,603 ft./ 2,927 m <_<
I can make up numbers too.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2009, 01:54:21 PM
The Euros have been ordered... :shifty:

Finally got some of those Ukrainian mail order brides eh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2009, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2009, 01:54:21 PM
The Euros have been ordered... :shifty:

Finally got some of those Ukrainian mail order brides eh?

And don't you dare tell my wife about it. :zipped:

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 09, 2009, 12:39:07 PM
I think that they were worried that we (my wife was with me) were going to attempt the Corno Grande without any proper gear or preparation. The alpinistes gathered round us and long conversations about the strong wind and other dangers ensued. We assured them that the refuge was the highest point for our day's walk and that our next destination was the Campo Imperatore (there is a hotel there where Mussolini was freed from back in WW2, the Skorzeny thing), but I think they still thought we were raving eccentrics of the first calibre  :cool:

I have to dig up a colleague's photos of a group of Chinese in the Alps at 2500 m in winter, at subzero temperatures, wearing nothing business suits and shirts, not even buttoning their jackets.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Is there a way to buy austrian and/or italian highway tickets online?

Barrister

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2009, 01:27:29 PM
What is a highway ticket?

Road charge. Mandatory on Austrian Autobahn; tourists can get tourist versions that are valid a couple weeks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Pedrito, do you have any info on how to reach this hotel of ours? I need intel about the number of beds in the 3-bed rooms (2 or 3), to see if I can take up RH's offer on joining them.

Pedrito

Quote from: Tamas on April 11, 2009, 01:26:07 PM
Is there a way to buy austrian and/or italian highway tickets online?

In Italy there are no highway tickets, but a toll booth system: you take the ticket while entering the highway, and give it back (usually with a load of cash) to the operator (or to the counter) while exiting. There are automated doors that accept credit card payments, too.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Pedrito

Ok, I've got some news from my sister, who was in Cortina last week:

there's still a lot of snow, the ski areas are still open and will close after Sunday, 19 april. This means that around that date all the cableways, chairlifts and most of the huts will close for off-season.
In the Cinque Torri and Falzarego Pass area there's an open air WWI museum that's open year-round, so this should definitely be the most interesting area: http://www.dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortina/laga5torri/estate/index.html. it's about half an hour by car from the town centre.

I've made a couple of calls to restaurants I know, but they all will be closed during our visit  :mad: : i'll look for other dining places, and keep you posted.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Richard Hakluyt

bugger!

Didn't realise it would be so snowy up there so late in the season  :(

Pedrito

Usually it isn't, but this year it's been extremely snowy. Like that only the elder remember a winter like this.  And all I've got was one measly day of skiing during all the winter...  :cry:

But I'm confident that a couple of weeks of fine weather will speed up the melting, and the hike paths will be accessible. Sure, we'll have to bring our "backpack food" and could not count on hut restaurants. Hut restaurants, mmmmmhhhhh....

L.
b / h = h / b+h