News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

languish meet in Italy : 7 - 11 May

Started by Richard Hakluyt, March 30, 2009, 02:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Dollar is at a much improved rate and you still don't get across the pond  :huh:

You, sir, are the Alaskan CdM  :contract:

katmai

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 08, 2009, 02:51:43 AM
Dollar is at a much improved rate and you still don't get across the pond  :huh:

You, sir, are the Alaskan CdM  :contract:

As you can attest I do get out a bit more than mr deMoney.

Sides i have trips planned for 10 days in San Diego and weekend in Hawaii already this summer so even with flights to Frankfurt being under $700 no way i can pull off this trip.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Has anyone checked our planned hotel with Pedrito? (whatsitsname)

Also, pedrito, I will be going by car. Anything particular to look out for? :)

Richard Hakluyt

@Katmai

I'm going to start making my way back over to North America once Ank is back over there, it seems crazy to say to him "let's go on a US roadtrip" while he's stationed over here  :D

So, hopefully, we will have the nucleus of a really good group of roadtrip mates come spring/summer 2011  :cool:

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 08, 2009, 03:02:45 AM
@Katmai

I'm going to start making my way back over to North America once Ank is back over there, it seems crazy to say to him "let's go on a US roadtrip" while he's stationed over here  :D

So, hopefully, we will have the nucleus of a really good group of roadtrip mates come spring/summer 2011  :cool:

Rent one of these and you have me onboard:

:cool:

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, Pedrito; me, Tamas and Ank are booked into the hotel Montana on the Corso Italia right in the centre of town (right next to the church belltower that starts tolling at 7 am  :P). Not sure if the barristers have booked there or not.

Triple rooms have been booked and will be under-occupied as we are not sure if they have 3 beds each or 1 double and 1 single. Understandably we are all in mortal dread of the mere possibility of having to share a bed with another Languishite  :D

So, we can legitimately put you up for the night if we spend the friday evening eating and drinking. Which I'm guessing will be what happens.

katmai

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 08, 2009, 03:11:39 AM
Yeah, Pedrito; me, Tamas and Ank are booked into the hotel Montana on the Corso Italia right in the centre of town (right next to the church belltower that starts tolling at 7 am  :P ).

Oh thank god i'm not going for sure now!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Pedrito

Quote from: Tamas on April 08, 2009, 02:57:00 AM
Also, pedrito, I will be going by car. Anything particular to look out for? :)

If you come through Austria, you can stop at Magdalensberg, not far from Klagenfurt, and take a look at the roman era settlement there: it was an iron mining centre, there's a pretty nice reconstruction of the different activities that were performed there and, IIRC, a small museum with materials excavated from the site.

If you come through Slovenia, Trieste is a very beautiful city and the Miramare Castle is worth a trip.

Along the road from Venice to Cortina, passing through Longarone an looking to the right, you'll see a high dam nested in the mountains: it's the infamous Vajont Dam, theatre of one of the most terrible tragedies of recent italian history: during October, 1963 literally half of the mountain behind the dam slided into the artificial lake, and generated an immense wave that jumped over the dam and crashed over the town of Longarone. the town was wiped away, and there were more than three thousand deaths  :(

L.

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

Quote from: Pedrito on April 08, 2009, 03:49:33 AM
If you come through Slovenia, Trieste is a very beautiful city and the Miramare Castle is worth a trip.

:wub:
Trieste must be the most underrated city in all Ialy.

Pedrito

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 08, 2009, 03:11:39 AM
Yeah, Pedrito; me, Tamas and Ank are booked into the hotel Montana on the Corso Italia right in the centre of town (right next to the church belltower that starts tolling at 7 am  :P). Not sure if the barristers have booked there or not.

The town centre is very small, so the hotel position is scarcely relevant; it should be a nice place to stay. The bell tower plays a nice melody several times a day, though  ;)

The two cableways, one to the Tofana and the other to Mount Faloria are within walking distance from your hotel.
But the noteworthy hikes are in the surroundings of the town, so a car to reach the starting points will be useful (there's a minibus service to most of the tourist destinations, but I know very little about it - you'll have to ask to the hotel concierge): how many cars will be available? If I can reach you on friday, my car will be available - if anyone dares to take a trip with a Real Italian Driver (R)  :menace:

this evening I'll post a couple of the most beautiful trekking itineraries around the valley. I assume the type of hike will heavily depend on the hangover conditions of most of us  ;)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Richard Hakluyt

We will be fine for cars then, BB is hiring one and Tamas is bringing his over from Hungary  :D

I do have the 1:25,000 map of the area for planning deathma..... ........er....... strolls, but I'm sure you know more than I do about the best walks. There are a fair selection of dodgy knees in the group  :P, so a transverse walk will probably be preferred to ascent/descent type walks.

Pedrito

Maybe the best easy trekking experience in Ampezzo is the Travenanzes Valley hike, a long but rewarding stroll, almost completely downhill behind the Tofanas ridge. The starting point can be reached by a two-hour uphill walk from Falzarego pass or by taking the Lagazuoi cable ride, from Falzarego too. From there it starts a fantastic walk along the Travenanzes creek that runs beside the Tofanas and through WWI theatres. From the path you can see trenches and buildings of the italian forces, and you'll have a magnificent view of the Tofanas and the surrounding mountains. The only problem is that the end of the path is very far from the starting point, so one must take the bus to get to his car again.

Another beautiful hike is around the Cinque Torri and Falzarego pass, magnificent scenery and WWI memories here, too.
Or down the Mount Cristallo, I love it :wub:
Moreover, Cortina is crossed by the old train route that went from Calalzo, some 40 kilometers downhill, to Dobbiaco/Toblach in South Tyrol: it's a very easy and nice stroll through the woods, and can be done by mountain bike, too: I suggest doing it heading towards Dobbiaco.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Tamas

Being one of the dodgy knees, I am all game for everything mostly downhill. :D

Richard Hakluyt

Some excellent options there, like the sound of the WW1 remnants as well, very Languish.

What will the weather be like btw? I haven't been to Cortina so early in the year before.

Barrister

For that matter what will the weather be like in the rest of Italy that time of year?

There'd still be ice on the lakes in the Yukon that time of year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.