And we're back!

Main Menu

giant Diplomacy PBEM

Started by Lettow77, November 21, 2009, 04:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Lettow77 on November 21, 2009, 04:08:22 PM
Prussia and Austria usually do fine. :unsure:

What makes them so doomed? Who is in a position to crush them?

I wonder if you've played diplomacy before.

Anyhow, thats for joining, bob. Any preferences, nation-wise? Brazil, Prussia, the Confederacy, Japan are the only slots players specifically have asked for. Unless, of course, Solmyr was serious.

No preference.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Lettow77

Uh, Alright. I'll let y'all know as soon as it gets underway, which it will do as soon as it hits 13 reliable players. Orders will be on a 24 hour basis- if they dont come in by then, your orders are assumed 'HOLD'

We played South Africa diplomacy tonight, a six-player variant. It ended thusly:
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6500/52102017.jpg
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Faeelin

Hrm. Maybe it's just me, but that map looks unbalanced. Brazil has nobody near by and a ton of supply centers available for teh taking...

Also, the fact that it's called Turkey confuses and infuriates me.

Cerr

Why is Dublin in the South West of Ireland on that map?

grumbler

Ah, good ol' Imperial Diplomacy.  :lol:

A fascinating failure.  Fun, though, for a while.  Germany and Austria look fucked, but that just gives them incentive to maintain the Dreikaiserbund, and that is a hard combo to beat.  I don't think I ever got far enough to see what happens when the 3 members of the Dreikaiserbund fall on one another - everyone else kinda gave up before that happened.

What is called "Holland" is, of course, Indonesia with a province in the Netherlands, soon lost.

The map looks like it has been updated a bit from when I played, but I don't think tweaks can fix the endgame.

Still, it is worth playing, for as long as it stays interesting for the vast majority of the major players.  I hope to follow this here on Languish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on November 22, 2009, 01:21:10 PM

Still, it is worth playing, for as long as it stays interesting for the vast majority of the major players.  I hope to follow this here on Languish.

This is why I play games - the desire to win just provides a structure to build the story of the game around.

It is why, despite it being a terrible flawed game, I really like The Napoleonic Wars. It is insanely gamey, has little or no bearing to reality, but damnit, every game something bizarre and fun happens.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on November 22, 2009, 01:21:10 PM
The map looks like it has been updated a bit from when I played, but I don't think tweaks can fix the endgame.

What breaks in the endgame?

I admit, I am getting intrigued.

Faeelin

Incidentally, what do the odd squares off some costs mean?

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on November 22, 2009, 03:13:22 PM
What breaks in the endgame?

I admit, I am getting intrigued.
Players have vastly different chances of winning, based on country.  Holland and France are screwed, IIRC, and Russia needs to ally with at least one of Germany, Austria, or China (but all of those players know they can get more from attacking Russia than allying with her, except if Germany AND Austria coally with her, and then that alliance wins).  The course of the game becomes more obvious early on than in regular Diplomacy, and you don't see the shifting alliances of regular Diplomacy becuase no one really is sure just exactly what is happening.

In short, the game isn't designed form a scale this big.  Still, it works for a while, and that is all most games need.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on November 22, 2009, 03:19:46 PM
Incidentally, what od the squares off soem coasts mean?
Looks like fleet block holders for land spaces too small to hold a fleet block and still leave the tag visible.

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Good to see the Languish Diplomacy tradition alive and well.   :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Lettow77

Ah, realised how little the languish community likes me/ how little love is lost there.

Got friends from elsewhere, and good times were had by all. Y'all were mostly fodder in the event that slots needed to be filled, which, merilly, was not the case.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Viking

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 20, 2009, 09:52:35 PM
Ah, realised how little the languish community likes me/ how little love is lost there.

Got friends from elsewhere, and good times were had by all. Y'all were mostly fodder in the event that slots needed to be filled, which, merilly, was not the case.

?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 20, 2009, 09:52:35 PM

:lmfao:

Game never happened.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned