News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pishtaco suckers of human body fat arrested

Started by Syt, November 20, 2009, 08:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Peruvian gang said to sell victim's fat on black market

QuotePeruvian police made a gruesome discovery in the jungles near Lima Peru that may change how people think about some cosmetic procedures.

After recovering several containers of fat that Peruvian police claimed was from one victim, the police speculated that a gang operating out of a remote area of Peru was selling human fat for cosmetic enhancements and cosmetics. Police suspect that at least one dozen people have been killed, possibly more, and the fat was sold to Europe. Police called the gang "Pishtacos." A Pishtaco is an ancient entity in the Quechua culture. The pishtaco is a "horrifying white killer."

The victim is killed by having his or her throat cut.

North American experts are pooh-pooing the idea that there is a black market for human fat, given the global obesity epidemic, although one expert conceded there might be a small market. It has now been well established that there is good money to be made on the black market for human organs and other body parts.

One story surfaced about an American cosmetic surgeon who supposedly boasted he used human fat, removed from patients, to power his car. Aside from this oddity, human fat is most commonly used to enhance buttocks and breast appearance, although the fat is supposed to be harvested from the patient. Increasingly, fat is also being used in facial enhancement procedures.

Peruvian police held a press conference saying they arrested four people, but are still looking for at least five other people, including two Italians. Police think the gang lured lone travellers in remote parts of the jungle with offers of employment. Police are now investigating the gang to see if they are responsible for the disappearances of up to 60 Peruvians. One gang member allegedly told police he had been taking fat from people for at least 30 years. Police have not yet verified the allegations, although they have found the bones of several people, along with several small containers of human fat.
The arrested men are said to have confessed to the murders of five people, taking fat from the bodies.

One gang member had been arrested earlier in November at a bus station in Lima with a container of human fat. The investigation continues.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

If there's profit to be made in human fat, perhaps the time has come to put the southern United States under my knife.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Neat, I always wondered where "Pishtaco" came from.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on November 20, 2009, 09:08:31 AM

I always thought it meant to read "fish taco".

Re: the article: wouldn't it be much more profitable to charge one group of patients to have the fat sucked out, and the other group to have it put back in?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on November 20, 2009, 08:56:10 AM
If there's profit to be made in human fat, perhaps the time has come to put the southern United States under my knife.

The modest increase in returns isn't worth the transport cost unless you're willing to relocate. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Neil on November 20, 2009, 08:56:10 AM

The south has the most high density deposits but there are profitable mining opportunities closer to Canada

Caliga

grumbler

The nut's name didn't come from the Peruvian vampire legend; the nut's name is pistachio and is from the Latin pistacium which means, unsurprisingly, "Pistachio nut."

I have never heard of "Pishtaco" before.  It isn't a word in the English language.  Maybe fans of the vampire genre have encountered it before.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on November 20, 2009, 10:46:33 AM
The nut's name didn't come from the Peruvian vampire legend; the nut's name is pistachio and is from the Latin pistacium which means, unsurprisingly, "Pistachio nut."

I have never heard of "Pishtaco" before.  It isn't a word in the English language.  Maybe fans of the vampire genre have encountered it before.

I think he referred to the (former?) Languish poster. Like I did.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

QuoteOne story surfaced about an American cosmetic surgeon who supposedly boasted he used human fat, removed from patients, to power his car
:lol:
Never heard this one. Great
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2009, 10:51:06 AM
I think he referred to the (former?) Languish poster. Like I did.
Ah.  I had completely forgotten what Pish's full name was. I never considered its etymology, either, but agree that it is a great username now that I know it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga