News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU president named.

Started by Richard Hakluyt, November 19, 2009, 03:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on November 19, 2009, 04:29:59 PM
So let me guess: the big guys could not agree who should get this potentially revolutionary position, and thus they gave it to a nobody, who will make the position utterly pointless, then proceeded to make the same with the perhaps even more important FM position, foiling any attempt to make the EU look like an entity to be taken seriously.

Where is the news? :(

well, not everyone was that enamoured with the new position from the get go. And there's a difference of opinion on how the presidency should function/be viewed between the large and small countries too.
As for the EU to be reformed into an entity taken seriously... times aren't dire enough. People will come around to that when it's nigh on too late... As always  <_<

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on November 19, 2009, 04:29:59 PM
So let me guess: the big guys could not agree who should get this potentially revolutionary position, and thus they gave it to a nobody, who will make the position utterly pointless, then proceeded to make the same with the perhaps even more important FM position, foiling any attempt to make the EU look like an entity to be taken seriously.

Indeed, another triumph for the Foreign Office  :bowler:

Valmy

It is like instead of making George Washington our first President we elected Lyman Hall.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2009, 04:46:20 PM
It is like instead of making George Washington our first President we elected Lyman Hall.

:mad: I'll remember this slight on Georgia, Texan.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 19, 2009, 03:46:34 PM
Wouldn't like to run into Catherine Ashton in a dark alley  :unsure:
I'd prefer it to be dark if I do run into her. 

EDIT:  I guess it was an obvious one.

Neil

A Belgian?  Does Belgium even have a national government anymore?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sahib

The new wasn't supposed to have George-Washington like position even in the dreams of the most extreme federalists, thought.
He's more, like, President of the United States in Congress Assembled
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Zanza

Merkel always wanted a mediator and backroom dealer as president of the council. Why is that position called "President of the EU" in the press anyway? The EU already has another "President", the president of the commission (Barroso), who heads the actual EU administration. And of course there is the president of the EU parliament, so that's three presidents already. This new post is just the organizer of the upper chamber meetings, so maybe more like a senate president or so.

There is nothing in the Lisbon Treaty to suggest that this new president of the council would be a kind of head of state for the EU. That's something that Sarkozy wanted at first and that the press picked up, but it is not in the treaty.

Zanza

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2009, 05:08:48 PM
They had until now. That guy to be exact. But now they'll have fun picking a new guy. Can only take a year or two. ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 19, 2009, 04:36:15 PM
Indeed, another triumph for the Foreign Office  :bowler:

They're making a complete pig's breakfast out of the whole thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on November 19, 2009, 03:38:25 PM
So, Americans, how does one go about getting a residence visa to your country these days?

Do you have any special skills?

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on November 19, 2009, 04:51:45 PM

:mad: I'll remember this slight on Georgia, Texan.

Oh come now just by remembering somebody as obscure as Lyman Hall I am honoring Georgia.

DGuller

Belgians do have a lot of experience in running (or not) an incongruous entity.  That makes them a perfect fit for EU.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2009, 05:19:14 PM
Belgians do have a lot of experience in running (or not) an incongruous entity.  That makes them a perfect fit for EU.

I think that is the reason for appointing him and, in general, I agree that such a person is a better choice than a so-called "heavyweight" like Blair. This Lisbon treaty business has been fairly traumatic, a period of quiet consolidation is a good idea IMO.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Sahib on November 19, 2009, 05:08:58 PM

The new wasn't supposed to have George-Washington like position even in the dreams of the most extreme federalists, thought.
He's more, like, President of the United States in Congress Assembled

So this guy's more like Peyton Randolph then.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers