News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best parents ever!

Started by Ed Anger, November 18, 2009, 04:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Most homework was worthless for me in school. OTOH, if I had actually done my math homework, I probably would have done better in math class - in college I did my homework and did fairly well.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valdemar

having both sons now in school it is funny to see how even teachers have changed attitude to homework.

Basically homework will only come in two forms for the first 3-5 years.

A stuff that hasn't been done in class... for a variety of reasons this only impacts some kids.

Or

B Stuff where repetition makes you better at it, so as not to waste actual teaching time on more than a few run throughs.. in this case it has been writing nicely. They do a few pages in school and finish up at home over time. Also they have been given a ten finger keyboard program. First few weeks were at school. they can brush up and refine skills at home.

V

Grey Fox

Yay!

Homeworks have getting out of hand. It's useless except maybe in Math.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

I never did my homework at home, ever.  I almost always did it in homeroom, on the bus, at lunch, or during other classes when there was "downtime".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2009, 06:25:24 PM
Not planning to issue an injunction any time soon, though.   ;)
EPIC FAIL. :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2009, 08:14:03 AM
I never did my homework at home, ever.  I almost always did it in homeroom, on the bus, at lunch, or during other classes when there was "downtime".

:) Study hall was excellent for that.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 19, 2009, 08:20:08 AM
:) Study hall was excellent for that.
We never had study hall.  :(

Anyway, my overall belief is that homework is utter nonsense and should be purged with fire.

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2009, 08:21:33 AM

Anyway, my overall belief is that homework is utter nonsense and should be purged with fire.

This. :yes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2009, 08:21:33 AM

:console:

Study hall was the awesome. Good times, good times.

Grallon

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 19, 2009, 07:46:20 AM
Yay!

Homeworks have getting out of hand. It's useless except maybe in Math.

A little more homework might have improved your language skills...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ed Anger

Grey Fox

My french teachers were never big on homeworks, no idea why.

But I don't think it would have helped, I don't care enough to apply reasonable effort into that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 19, 2009, 10:07:50 AM
My french teachers were never big on homeworks, no idea why.

But I don't think it would have helped, I don't care enough to apply reasonable effort into that.
I think this is the issue. Kids are not known for their self-motivation when it comes to academic pursuits, which is why we send them to school instead of just letting them study on their own.

Its a little strange that the school then sends them home to study on their own.

FWIW, the schools I went to did not send homework as a matter of course. It only happened when you did not finish work in class that you were supposed to, or if you missed a day.

Valmy

How exactly are kids supposed to type essays in class?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."