Main Menu

Best parents ever!

Started by Ed Anger, November 18, 2009, 04:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/18/canada-homework-milley

I could have used a ruling like that 20 some years ago. :cry:

Canadian parents win legal battle against homework

Sherri and Tom Milley's children are now exempt from completing school assignments outside the classroom

Usually it is the children, not the parents, who are loath to spend their evenings practising spelling and learning times tables. But a Canadian couple have just won a legal battle to exempt their offspring from homework after successfully arguing there is no clear evidence it improves academic performance.

Sherri and Tom Milley, two lawyers from Calgary, Alberta, launched their highly unusual case after years of struggling to make their three reluctant children do school work out of the classroom.

After waging a long war with their eldest son, Jay, now 18, over his homework, they decided to do things differently with their youngest two, Spencer, 11, and Brittany, 10. And being lawyers, they decided to make it official.

It took two years to negotiate the Milleys' Differentiated Homework Plan, which ensures their youngest two children will never have to do homework again at their current school. The two-page plan, signed by the children, parents and teachers, stipulates that "homework will not be used as a form of evaluation for the children". In return, the pupils promise to get their work done in class, to come to school prepared, and to revise for tests. They must also read daily and practise their musical instruments at home.

"It was a constant homework battle every night," Sherri told Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper. "It's hard to get a weeping child to take in math problems. They are tired. They shouldn't be working a second shift."

"Why were we putting our family through that stress?" she wondered. "If we don't want it all, we shouldn't have to have it."

Two years ago, Sherri began collecting studies on homework, most of which suggest that, particularly for younger grades, there is no clear link between work at home and school performance. Working with the staff at St Brigid Elementary Junior High School, she formed a homework committee. When no firm changes resulted from the committee, the couple began negotiating the legal document that decided the matter.

"We think it's a parent's right to choose what's in our children's best interests," said Sherri. "But we're thankful the school did the right thing."

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

People like this should be hanged.

The Minsky Moment

We don't we just save time, surrender, and turn our entire country over to the Chinese now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

This case should never have seen a court room.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2009, 05:40:19 PM
We don't we just save time, surrender, and turn our entire country over to the Chinese now.
As atonement for Canadian sins?

katmai

And Neil says Canada is great :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

Homework didn't do shit for me. It really was a worthless waste of time.

Some people need that stuff though, I think. If they can't learn the material the first time around.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

saskganesh

Quote from: katmai on November 18, 2009, 05:48:37 PM
its an Albertan family. they have funny ideas out there.
humans were created in their own image

Malthus

This is absurd.  :lol:

But the prevelance of homework is also getting out of hand. My three year old gets homework from JK.

Not planning to issue an injunction any time soon, though.   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Capetan Mihali

Canadian border officials everywhere shudder as they prepare for the impending waves of American preteen homework dodgers...   :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 18, 2009, 06:33:31 PM
Canadian border officials everywhere shudder as they prepare for the impending waves of American preteen homework dodgers...   :(
Canadian sculptors everywhere prepare their submssions for the monument dedicated to their heroism and sacrifice.

Neil

Quote from: katmai on November 18, 2009, 05:48:37 PM
It's Calgary.

After spending two days in Calgary last weekend, I am resolved to give the city the treatment that it so richly deserves.

Calgary delenda est.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: Zanza on November 18, 2009, 05:47:13 PM
This case should never have seen a court room.

And it never did, at least according to the article.  Not everything lawyers do happens in a courtroom.

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 18, 2009, 05:51:25 PM
Homework didn't do shit for me. It really was a worthless waste of time.

Some people need that stuff though, I think. If they can't learn the material the first time around.
Agreed.  Personally, homework was pointless until college for me (which, ironically, is when it sometimes stops beings mandatory).  I either rushed through it in the class preceding the one when it was due, or just didn't do it at all.

DisturbedPervert

Homework was completely worthless for me at that age, but if it takes these kids so long to do their math homework that they start crying over it they probably need the practice.