News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best parents ever!

Started by Ed Anger, November 18, 2009, 04:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2009, 12:17:14 PM
How exactly are kids supposed to type essays in class?

No biggie. Do you mean if they don't have computers?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

saskganesh

people need to learn to learn (and think) on their own. if homework is interesting, I think fewer people would hate it.
humans were created in their own image

Caliga

In high school most of my math teachers just asked people to pull out the sheet of paper with their homework written on it and went around and checked off that you'd done it in their gradebook after a mere glance at it.  Didn't take long to figure out all you had to do was keep about a half dozen sheets of past homework and just keep swapping them in and out to fool teach.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Anybody had a mimeograph teacher? You know, the one that taught by just giving out endless reams of homework and nothing else?

In the 8th grade, I had this bitch English teacher that gave out 4-5 sheets of homework a day. No teaching, no questions. We were told to read the textbook.

Eventually, I just read D&D and wargame rulebooks and the Stand in class.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

That describes like 25% of my teachers, actually.  :lol:

I had some great teachers as a kid, but probably an equal number of totally worthless ones.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2009, 12:17:14 PM
How exactly are kids supposed to type essays in class?
Type?  Try using a pen.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2009, 02:11:04 PM
Type?  Try using a pen.

Because almost every college course requires typed papers?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Type?  Try using a pen.
I find your old fashioned attitudes amusing and quaint. :)

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2009, 02:21:50 PM
Type?  Try using a pen.

Because almost every college course requires typed papers?
There aren't college students.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 19, 2009, 01:18:01 PM
Anybody had a mimeograph teacher? You know, the one that taught by just giving out endless reams of homework and nothing else?

In the 8th grade, I had this bitch English teacher that gave out 4-5 sheets of homework a day. No teaching, no questions. We were told to read the textbook.

Eventually, I just read D&D and wargame rulebooks and the Stand in class.

My 'World Civ' teacher freshmen year taught by giving us a selection of pages from the textbook to read everyday, and our assignment was to write a summary of every paragraph in a notebook.  Sometimes he'd give us a blank map of a region the world, and we had to write in the names of every country.  Occasionally he'd give us a quiz on this stuff.  He basically never talked for an entire year.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 19, 2009, 01:18:01 PM

In high school, my sociology teacher did that. He'd read or we'd read just from the textbook during class...although on a few occasions he would let us debate issues.  And then his pop quizzes, tests, and homework were all directly from the book.  The pop quizzes were the hardest part as he'd sometimes choose details that the book hadn't emphasized.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I did my homework. It only took a few minutes if you were brilliant. BFD
Women want me. Men want to be with me.