Yo parents: how to mess up your kids with "good parenting"

Started by Syt, November 14, 2009, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: derspiess on November 16, 2009, 10:08:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2009, 07:18:52 AM
How do you propose to make sure the chid is properly socialized when home-schooled?

Why are you so concerned about that?

Lack of socialization is a legitimate worry.  As Merithyn noted, of course, if you have a community with sufficient other opportunities (peewee football leagues and the like, community theater if you must, boy/girl scouts, etc.) for socialization, any problems can be mitigated.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 16, 2009, 10:08:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2009, 07:18:52 AM
How do you propose to make sure the chid is properly socialized when home-schooled?

Why are you so concerned about that?

Yeah, I mean I turned out fine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on November 16, 2009, 08:23:12 AM
So that's what? 3%? Isn't this about the level of support libertarians get in the US?  :P

It is a bit of a pain to actually home school a child.

I think the oddness associated with home schooled children is a function of the parents that want to home school being odd themselves. It isn't as though children are programmed to require schooling for socialization--we may think that way because that is what we went through, but that hasn't been the norm in history.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

My father and his sibs were home-schooled for their early childhood education. One sister became a famous writer, he became a reasonably well known scientist, another sister became a recluse.

Come to think of it, none of them are what you would describe as normally well-socialized, particularly my dad. But then, neither am I, and I went to school.  :D

They got home schooled as a result of isolation, not religion: they literally lived in the deep forest, as a result of grandpa's work.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: ulmont on November 16, 2009, 10:13:39 AM
Lack of socialization is a legitimate worry.  As Merithyn noted, of course, if you have a community with sufficient other opportunities (peewee football leagues and the like, community theater if you must, boy/girl scouts, etc.) for socialization, any problems can be mitigated.

My question was why *Marty* is so concerned about 3% of children in the US getting proper socialization.  Marty hates children & hates the US, so why would he care?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Scipio on November 16, 2009, 04:17:40 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2009, 02:49:29 AM
GUYS, NOT ALL INSULTS ARE AD HOMS.
You, with your fucking logic and shit!

Just because Marty has no experience rearing children, and will never have children of his own, is no basis to criticize his opinion about rearing children.
I think all of you are being unfair to Marty.  In my experience, people who never had children are by far the most prolific child-rearing experts.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on November 16, 2009, 10:39:30 AM
My father and his sibs were home-schooled for their early childhood education. One sister became a famous writer,

Harry Potter sucks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on November 16, 2009, 12:15:28 PM
I think all of you are being unfair to Marty.  In my experience, people who never had children are by far the most prolific child-rearing experts.

That's a fair point, actually.  He probably knows as much about raising a child as he does about U.S. law.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: merithyn on November 16, 2009, 08:37:17 AM
The social aspect of dealing with teachers (bosses) one doesn't like, students (co-workers) one can't stand, and overall situations that are well beyond their control (stupid rules and ignorant guidelines like the corporate world) are important educational tools

Yeah, 'cause parents never make stupid rules, and always give control over family decisions to the kids.   :rolleyes:

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2009, 06:02:11 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 14, 2009, 08:04:52 PM
# 3 is moronic.

Not it's not.

It is actually. all these "guidelines" are the extreme case example. The middleground where most parents parent from is the norm.
:p

Slargos

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on November 15, 2009, 05:23:04 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 15, 2009, 04:13:46 PM
Feed your kids a steady diet of pop-tarts and violent Bugs Bunny cartoons.

The Bugs bunny part worked for me (didnt have pop-tarts), also learned a good deal of english through Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry cartoons...

Did you learn English as a baby? You may have learned to read it, but you certainly didn't learn enough to really comprehend what you're reading. Maybe that's a general problem, rather than language-specific, however.

Danes...  :rolleyes:

Or to elaborate (in order to avoid having to post explanatory once you reply with what amounts to  :huh: :mad: :bash: ), they noted that it was not a good way to teach BABIES to read. Presumably, when you started picking up English it was late enough to be considered a second language in which case you've already built the neuron pathways that allow you to speak in the first place.

crazy canuck

I have never met a homeschooled person who was a drama queen attention whore.  But then again none of them grew up in Poland so I suppose it is possible that country has different home schooling outcomes.

Berkut

I don't know anyone who was home schooled.

Or rather, I don't know anyone who I know was home schooled. How can you tell them apart?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on November 16, 2009, 11:10:37 PM

Or rather, I don't know anyone who I know was home schooled. How can you tell them apart?

Maybe you just don't have any friends.   :P

Occasionally, home schooling or grade school education does come up when speaking with them...

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on November 16, 2009, 11:15:26 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 16, 2009, 11:10:37 PM

Maybe you just don't have any friends.   :P

Occasionally, home schooling or grade school education does come up when speaking with them...

Sure, but if the overall rate is less than 3%, I bet my demographic rate is half that or less - which means that the odds of someone I know well enough to chat about that kind of thing being home schooled are pretty low. So far, I have not stumbled across any.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned