What if the WTC towers had fallen over, rather than imploded?

Started by Berkut, November 12, 2009, 08:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2009, 07:34:36 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 13, 2009, 05:13:40 AM
My memory is a bit iffy on this, but if they could hit a few blocks away, they could have taken Wall Street with them.
That would have saved more money than it cost.

Could Ossama have prevented the financial meltdown???
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Warspite

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2009, 09:21:07 AM
He tried his best, and was cursed for it.  :cry:

True genius is never understood in its own time.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

Quote from: Warspite on November 13, 2009, 09:22:23 AM
True genius is never understood in its own time.

Perhaps if his attack had been a little more direct.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

No need for the Towers to fell over, if the planes had struck simultaneously once everyone was at work and done it as low as possible (avoiding evacuation and accelerating collapse) the attack might have caused as many victims as a small nuclear warhead in a normal city.

PDH

What if the towers burned down, fell over, then sank into a swamp?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on November 14, 2009, 08:55:03 PM
What if the towers burned down, fell over, then sank into a swamp?

Swamp Thing would have been PISSED.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

PDH it depends on whether they had been poisoned and shot four times prior to that.

Ed Anger

What if: Isengard had defended itself better from walking trees?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on November 13, 2009, 08:51:30 AM
My memory is a bit iffy on this, but if they could hit a few blocks away, they could have taken Wall Street with them.

Wall Street is a bit of a Potemkin village.  Trading on the NYSE is mostly electronic these days, and is duplicated on other exchanges anyway.  And many of the big financial institutions and their service providers are in midtown - including the former Bear Stearns, although Lehman was still downtown in that time period (in fact they were next door to WTC)

Goldman was is still is headquartered on Broad Street though, so the Huffpost/Rolling Stone crowd would have been pleased.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2009, 09:24:09 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 13, 2009, 08:51:30 AM

Goldman was is still is headquartered on Broad Street

I see.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 14, 2009, 09:03:53 PM

Then there would have not been any rohirrim at Pelennor Fields, and the whole of middle earth would have eventually fallen into Sauron's hands. It would have ended in a cold war with the elves from that island in the West were all elves were fleing to. Nuclear winter being the most likely end after intercontinental spells were used by both sides.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on November 15, 2009, 03:12:00 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 14, 2009, 09:03:53 PM

Then there would have not been any rohirrim at Pelennor Fields, and the whole of middle earth would have eventually fallen into Sauron's hands. It would have ended in a cold war with the elves from that island in the West were all elves were fleing to. Nuclear winter being the most likely end after intercontinental spells were used by both sides.
Wrong.  Valinor is militarily superior to any possible combination of forces from Middle Earth.  At some point, the Valar would simply annihilate Sauron and his armies, regardless of what happened in the War of the Ring.  The main result would be the extinction of the Western races of Men, as well as hobbits and those Elvish tribes who had not yet migrated to Valinor.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger