What if the WTC towers had fallen over, rather than imploded?

Started by Berkut, November 12, 2009, 08:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 12, 2009, 08:45:17 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 12, 2009, 08:33:27 PM
I doubt they'd fall over like a tree; rather, after having tipped over enough, the building structure itself would break apart. Skyscapers aren't designed to hold up very well when tilted.

Haven't you seen the previews for 2012?  Building can flip over and roll along the ground, smashing thousands.
Cool.
PDH!

Berkut

Yeah, that is a good point - you look at the buildings, and imagine them as giant stiff beams that would fall over like a log, but they probably don't really have any lateral structural strength? Just disintegrate downwards as the fell...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HisMajestyBOB

I doubt they'd fall over like a tree; rather, after having tipped over enough, the building structure itself would break apart. Skyscapers aren't designed to hold up very well when tilted.

Haven't you seen the previews for 2012?  Building can flip over and roll along the ground, smashing thousands.

It's a Disaster! :w00t:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 12, 2009, 08:50:05 PM

It's a Disaster! :w00t:
Skywalker we're after!
PDH!

DGuller

I don't think the buildings the size and shape of WTC can actually fall over.  They'd break up the moment they get any significant lean.

dps

Quote from: Maximus on November 12, 2009, 08:26:08 PM
IIRC that's what the original WTC bombing was supposed to do.

Yeah, but as others have posted, it probably wouldn't have worked, even if the blast had been big enough.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Alatriste

Actually buildings are quite less solid than most persons believe, both laterally and vertically. If structural supports fail suddenly (for example, in controlled demolitions) not only their own weight makes them collapse instantly... but each floor crumbles into a million small pieces as it falls.

In other words, you can't topple skyscrapers, because floors and walls aren't rigid enough to transmit the strength of a impact. Rather, they disintegrate as if they were made of paper.   

Zanza

The WTC was about 400 meters high. Even if it fell without breaking apart, it would at best have destroyed about three more blocks. That's not the scale of a small nuke. The total destruction radius of the Hiroshima bomb was about a mile with serious destruction reaching much further. 

Sophie Scholl

Or... what if they crashed into Times Square on New Year's Eve?  Hmm...  ouch. :osama:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on November 13, 2009, 03:18:33 AM
The WTC was about 400 meters high. Even if it fell without breaking apart, it would at best have destroyed about three more blocks. That's not the scale of a small nuke. The total destruction radius of the Hiroshima bomb was about a mile with serious destruction reaching much further.

My memory is a bit iffy on this, but if they could hit a few blocks away, they could have taken Wall Street with them.

grumbler

It'd still cause more damage to the immediate surrounding area, though.
This.  There would be little sideways movement vectors for the building's debris, because there would be no structure strong enough to convert much of the vertical vector to a horizontal one (unlike a tree).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on November 13, 2009, 05:13:40 AM
My memory is a bit iffy on this, but if they could hit a few blocks away, they could have taken Wall Street with them.
That would have saved more money than it cost.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!