What if the WTC towers had fallen over, rather than imploded?

Started by Berkut, November 12, 2009, 08:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Someone on CSW mentioned that had the WTC towers fallen over, rather than imploded, the amount of damage and death toll would have been similar to a small nuclear weapon going off.

Seemed rather ridiculous, but then...

They are really fucking big. They make other really big buildings look puny. Seems like the amount of damage they could do to Manhattan if they fell over would in fact be immense. How many other buildings would be taken out?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Darth Wagtaros

I expect this from Tim Berkut.  Somehow tied into Lee accepting Queen Victoria's surrender at Appomatix.

The towers could not have fallen over because when the Government set the whole thing up they made sure to rig the towers for controlled collapse.
PDH!

Maximus

IIRC that's what the original WTC bombing was supposed to do.

Josquius

A lot.
Luckily they're not falling their full height- they're hit in the middle/top so a sizable amount drops off first.
Weren't the buildings around about evacuated after they were hit?
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 12, 2009, 08:25:17 PM
I expect this from Tim Berkut.  Somehow tied into Lee accepting Queen Victoria's surrender at Appomatix.

The towers could not have fallen over because when the Government set the whole thing up they made sure to rig the towers for controlled collapse.

WTF are you babbling about? Queen Victoria?

And is that really true - they were designed to collapse? That is kind of cool, I wonder how they do that...got a link or anything? Not that I don't believe you, but because I would like to know more.

0 rows returned

Strix

I am quite sure the death toll would have been much higher. Just look at the damage to surrounding buildings caused by falling debris. Throw in that chances are it would have crushed nearby rescue personnel and watchers.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on November 12, 2009, 08:26:59 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 12, 2009, 08:25:17 PM

WTF are you babbling about? Queen Victoria?

And is that really true - they were designed to collapse? That is kind of cool, I wonder how they do that...got a link or anything? Not that I don't believe you, but because I would like to know more.
I was being facetious, referring to conspiracy theories about the Feds being behind 11 September and Timmay's love for strange alternative history.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Perhaps a few hundred more rescue workers would have been killed, but that's not like a small nuke going off.

Now if there hadn't been evacuation drills conducted because of the 1st attack, than the building collapse would have killed thousands more, maybe tens of thousands.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: Strix on November 12, 2009, 08:28:06 PM
I am quite sure the death toll would have been much higher. Just look at the damage to surrounding buildings caused by falling debris. Throw in that chances are it would have crushed nearby rescue personnel and watchers.

The size of those things - they would have killed a lot more than resuce workers and watchers. They would have killed people blocks and blocks away. And a lot of people - would have seen some nasty domino effect as they took out more skyscrapers.

0 rows returned

HisMajestyBOB

I doubt they'd fall over like a tree; rather, after having tipped over enough, the building structure itself would break apart. Skyscapers aren't designed to hold up very well when tilted.

It'd still cause more damage to the immediate surrounding area, though.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on November 12, 2009, 08:31:21 PM

The size of those things - they would have killed a lot more than resuce workers and watchers. They would have killed people blocks and blocks away. And a lot of people - would have seen some nasty domino effect as they took out more skyscrapers.
I do agree with this.   An entire region would have been hit by fires, street collapse, and general chaos.
PDH!

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on November 12, 2009, 08:26:59 PM

Here's the NIST draft report on the collapse, which doesn't seem to say anything relevant:
http://wtc.nist.gov/media/NIST_NCSTAR_1A_for_public_comment.pdf

If you think about it, though, with the incredible weight of the building, I can only imagine that any tipping would have resulted in collapse straight down as soon as the pieces leaned out.

Alexandru H.

No way. It would have been impossible to prevent any  :Joos from dying if the buildings would have fallen over.

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 12, 2009, 08:34:45 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 12, 2009, 08:31:21 PM

I do agree with this.   An entire region would have been hit by fires, street collapse, and general chaos.

Wouldn't it depend on direction? There aren't really many skyscrapers in the northern vicinity. Likewise with the south, although those buildings are bit taller than the northern ones. West knocks buildings into the Hudson...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 12, 2009, 08:33:27 PM
I doubt they'd fall over like a tree; rather, after having tipped over enough, the building structure itself would break apart. Skyscapers aren't designed to hold up very well when tilted.

Haven't you seen the previews for 2012?  Building can flip over and roll along the ground, smashing thousands.