And we're back!

Main Menu

True Blood - ok, will it get better?

Started by Martinus, November 12, 2009, 10:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 12, 2009, 05:42:02 PM
:yeahright:

Both characters are dealing with family problems stemming largely from their decision to enter the drug trade. Both had similar reasons for getting in. Nancy may be dealing with her problems more successfully, but it's a comedy show- the treatment differs, the story not so much.
Again, wrong.

Weeds is a fairly traditional comedy show.  Most of the plots exist somewhat in and of themselves, with a little bit of a season-wide plot.

Breaking Bad is in the mold of the Long Televised Novels like Oz, or better yet The Sopranos and The Wire.  It has a single arc (Walter White going down), and spends almost its entire time on that, without a hugely important break between seasons or episodes where everything "go back to normal". 

The premises are similar, but the individual plot and everything BESIDES the premise is different. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

:frusty:

It's the subject matter that makes the comparison unavoidable. I'm not saying they're the same kind of show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: katmai on November 12, 2009, 05:33:56 PM
Breaking bad and Mad Men :zzz:

Not sold on Breaking Bad yet....but Mad Men boring? Surely you jest. It is by far the best thing on television, bar none.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Mad Men haters are simply too emasculated to enjoy it properly.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 12, 2009, 04:51:55 PMThe problem with Breaking Bad is that it is too gritty and realistic. None of the characters are larger than life, there's no romance to it.

I think that's the best thing about it.   :lol:

Breaking Bad is probably my favorite show on tv.  Tried to watch weeds but I just couldn't make it past the first few episodes.  Mad Men is great too.  Although I wish I hadn't started watching either until they were finished.

katmai

Quote from: Josephus on November 12, 2009, 07:49:50 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 12, 2009, 05:33:56 PM
Breaking bad and Mad Men :zzz:

Not sold on Breaking Bad yet....but Mad Men boring? Surely you jest. It is by far the best thing on television, bar none.

Never watched it :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Korea

Quote from: frunk on November 12, 2009, 01:51:21 PM
Season 1 seemed very lazy.  Beyond the continual annoying whine of Sookie, Tara and Bill the storyline resolved, [SPOILER WARNING]

I completely agree with your assessment of the plot of the first one.
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 12, 2009, 04:12:31 PM
I'm just getting into "Curb Your Enthusiasm" about 10 years too late.   :blush:

Me too! I love that show.

Korea

I haven't seen the show but am currently reading the books and I think the plot gets progressively better.

Admiral Yi

Thanks Korea.  That white shows up very nicely on the blue background.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2009, 10:44:59 AM
And the Josh-Whedonish-Mary-Sue (Sookie) annoys the hell out of me.
Fuck you.  Anybody who uses the term 'Mary-Sue' reveals themself to lack taste and the ability to use rationality to analyze anything.

That said, after having to sit through my wife watching the show, the only good part of the show is Stellan Skaarsgard's kid.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Korea

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2009, 08:59:11 PM
Thanks Korea.  That white shows up very nicely on the blue background.

That's the color we always use for spoilers on languish.  :huh: It even says spoiler above it.

Martinus

Ok just finished watching the last episode of season 1, and yeah I agree it got better towards the end.

I don't know if this is intentional but I like the show flirting with a pastiche at some points (is it possible to have a vampire story these days that is not a pastiche to some degree?) I also like Sam the Dog more than Bill the Vampire. :P

MadImmortalMan

Maybe Yi is using a different forum skin. There are several.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.