News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

True Blood - ok, will it get better?

Started by Martinus, November 12, 2009, 10:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, I started watching True Blood recently and saw the first three episodes of season 1. Now, I like the concept, all the in-jokes, social commentary, yada yada yada, but somehow I'm underwhelmed. I love HBO, I love Alan Ball and I love vampires so the show should be right up my alley but somehow it seems boring-ish. It could be because it is based on a book which wasn't that good (haven't read it) or maybe it just has a slow start.

By comparison, when I first got season 1 of Six Feet Under, I watched half way through it during the first night, staying up until 4 a.m. or something, I was so drawn in.

So to people who saw it - what is your view - and does it get better?

Grey Fox

Do you like Lafayette? If Yes, then yea it gets a little better.

If you don't, no.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

And before someone comments - yeah, I know the show is a couple of years old. I just don't like watching tv shows on actual tv, because I always miss episodes etc. so I just buy them on DVD when they come out and then it may take a while before I get around to see them - I have several shows lined up that way - for example later seasons of Battlestar Galactica, season 4 of Queer as Folk, season 1 of Dexter, etc. - which I know are good but I haven't yet had time to sit down and watch.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 12, 2009, 10:42:55 AM
Do you like Lafayette? If Yes, then yea it gets a little better.

If you don't, no.

Well I like him - but the characters overall are kinda boring/one dimensional.

And the Josh-Whedonish-Mary-Sue (Sookie) annoys the hell out of me.

frunk

I tolerated the show through the first season and the first couple of episodes of season 2.  After that it starts getting very good and I'm an enthusiastic fan.  I'm not at all interested in going back and watching the first season though, way too much whining.

Josquius

When I first started watching it I did think the first episode or two were quite awful. But I had nothing else to do so I stuck with it and...yeah, it gets good.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

I dunno what to tell you Marty.  I've only seen the first season, and I thought it was good.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

meh, Marty is just creaming his panties because Alan Ball said there will be more ghey characters on True Blood.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

syk

I liked it mostly. The 1st season took a bit to find it's pace but got quite cool towards the end. The second season starts out great but after a while things got all too silly. Still watched all of it. Not looking forward towards a third though.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DisturbedPervert

It's ok.  The second season gets ridiculous, but they don't seem to take it seriously so its kinda amusing.

Fate

I didn't enjoy the series. Hopefully it's canceled soon.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Quote from: Fate on November 12, 2009, 12:43:10 PM
I didn't enjoy the series. Hopefully it's canceled soon.
odds are unlikely, as it is doing too well for hbo.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.