News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

True Blood - ok, will it get better?

Started by Martinus, November 12, 2009, 10:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: frunk on November 12, 2009, 10:47:35 AM
I tolerated the show through the first season and the first couple of episodes of season 2.  After that it starts getting very good and I'm an enthusiastic fan.  I'm not at all interested in going back and watching the first season though, way too much whining.

I thought season 1 was better than most of season 2. Season 2 had some great stuff, but the Michelle Forbes storyline dragged out way too long. imo.
:p

frunk

Season 1 seemed very lazy.  Beyond the continual annoying whine of Sookie, Tara and Bill the storyline resolved, [SPOILER WARNING]

after numerous half-hearted red herrings, with a killer who had no foreshadowing, no real motive and not even much character development.  The second season had a much better plot, tons of interesting characters including the other telepath, vampire gov't, the maenad which I liked and mercifully much less whining by all involved.  Yes it got sillier, but also entertaining at the same time when it stopped taking itself so seriously.

Queequeg

The show is fantastically uneven.  Way too campy for my tastes.

Check out Mad Men and Breaking Bad.  AMC now has the best dramas on television.  Somehow.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josephus

I thought Season One was really good.
Season Two was really bad.

I think once the concept of having vampires walking around, coming out, as it were, wears off, it gets pretty dull.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on November 12, 2009, 01:51:48 PM
The show is fantastically uneven.  Way too campy for my tastes.

Check out Mad Men and Breaking Bad.  AMC now has the best dramas on television.  Somehow.

Breaking Bad doesn't stand out that much. It's not as good as Weeds, for instance(yeah I know Weeds is a comedy, but the comparison is unavoidable). Worth watching but so are most HBO/Showtime series.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 12, 2009, 03:47:56 PM

Breaking Bad doesn't stand out that much. It's not as good as Weeds, for instance(yeah I know Weeds is a comedy, but the comparison is unavoidable). Worth watching but so are most HBO/Showtime series.
:huh:

It can't really be compared to Weeds.  Breaking Bad is a fantastically depressing drama, and frankly one of the best (and best reviewed) shows on American television.  Weeds is a light, over-quirk dependent comedy. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

Breaking Bad? Never heard of that one.
Mad Men...I watched the first two episodes and...meh. It just didn't appeal at all.
██████
██████
██████

Capetan Mihali

I'm just getting into "Curb Your Enthusiasm" about 10 years too late.   :blush:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on November 12, 2009, 04:06:03 PM
:huh:

It can't really be compared to Weeds. 

Average joe suburban white person gets caught up in the drug trade, learns the ropes, hijinks ensue. Sure their treatment differs, but it's the same story.

But if you prefer, let's compare it with Mad Men. The problem with Breaking Bad is that it is too gritty and realistic. None of the characters are larger than life, there's no romance to it. It's kind of like a reality show where nobody realizes they're being filmed.

Like I said, it's worth watching. But it's not a show to fall in love with.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 12, 2009, 04:12:31 PM
I'm just getting into "Curb Your Enthusiasm" about 10 years too late.   :blush:

I watched a couple episodes of "The Larry Sanders Show" on youtube recently.  :lol:

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 12, 2009, 04:51:55 PM
Average joe suburban white person gets caught up in the drug trade, learns the ropes, hijinks ensue. Sure their treatment differs, but it's the same story.

But if you prefer, let's compare it with Mad Men. The problem with Breaking Bad is that it is too gritty and realistic. None of the characters are larger than life, there's no romance to it. It's kind of like a reality show where nobody realizes they're being filmed.

Like I said, it's worth watching. But it's not a show to fall in love with.
Weeds is a comedy about a woman keeping her family together.  Breaking Bad is, if anything, the exact opposite.

And I think the realism and darkness of Breaking Bad is a clear strength.  This isn't Leave it to Beaver or The Brady Bunch.  I like that. 

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on November 12, 2009, 05:25:00 PM
Weeds is a comedy about a woman keeping her family together.  Breaking Bad is, if anything, the exact opposite.

:yeahright:

Both characters are dealing with family problems stemming largely from their decision to enter the drug trade. Both had similar reasons for getting in. Nancy may be dealing with her problems more successfully, but it's a comedy show- the treatment differs, the story not so much.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi