Oh, those whacky Cossacks and their military aspirations

Started by CountDeMoney, November 11, 2009, 06:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

The real solution is to build two entirely new dreadnoughts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on November 11, 2009, 10:09:03 PM

I could get with that, but with the state of project management in the defense industry the way it is, it'd still be cheaper to bring out the battlewagons than starting from scratch.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2009, 10:17:36 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 11, 2009, 10:09:03 PM
I could get with that, but with the state of project management in the defense industry the way it is, it'd still be cheaper to bring out the battlewagons than starting from scratch.
Of course, but why cut corners?

It would stimulate the economy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Cool.  I used to sink the hell out of Kirovs on Red Storm Rising (C64)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2009, 06:39:14 PM
QuoteRussia plans reactivation of two Kirov-class cruisers

The Russian Federation Navy (RFN) is to reactivate two laid-up Kirov-class (Project 1144) battle cruisers, according to statements attributed by Russian media to the country's deputy defence minister.

Colonel General Vladimir Popovkin reportedly said that the Ministry of Defence has decided to renovate and modernise its heavy nuclear-powered missile cruiser (tiazhyeliy atomniy raketniy kreiser/TARK) units Admiral Lazarev (ex- Frunze ) and Admiral Nakhimov (ex- Kalinin ).

The 24,300-ton ships were commissioned into the Soviet Navy in 1984 and 1988, the second and third vessels in a class that eventually numbered four. Col Gen Popovkin made no mention of the lead ship, Admiral Ushakov (ex- Kirov ), which entered service in 1980 and was decommissioned in 2004, appearing to confirm earlier reports that it is to be scrapped.

The RFN currently has one ship of the class in service, Pyotr Velikiy (ex- Yuri Andropov , ex- Kuibishev ), which was launched in St Petersburg in 1989 and commissioned in 1998.

I suggest we recommission the Iowa and Wisconsin in response.

That's not fighting fair.

I say we give the Bear a fighting chance.  Refloat the Exxon Valdez, stick on some 70s vintage radar and weapons system, and a miniaturized RBMK reactor.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habsburg

Valdemar

Quote from: Jacob on November 11, 2009, 09:23:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2009, 06:39:14 PMI suggest we recommission the Iowa and Wisconsin in response.

This is probably less about measuring up to the US and more about being able to bully various ex-Soviet republics and Europeans with coastlines.

They didn't bully us back then, why would they be able to do so now?  :huh:

Not to mention, getting close to a shore means no need for a navy to hit them :p It can then be done by land forces :)

V

Monoriu

Are they going to send the ships against Somali pirates?

grumbler

Quote from: Habsburg on November 12, 2009, 12:37:57 AM
Holland America Lines response:

http://nieuwamsterdam.hollandamerica.com/

Launch the new Nieuw Amsterdam!  :w00t: :mmm: !!
There is no form of ugliness quite so striking as that of a cruise ship's ugliness, is there?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 11, 2009, 09:24:21 PM
We've got the New Jersey sitting right in Camden; all they'd really need to do is unweld the gun ports. :contract:
I guess it's the only person or thing in Camden not adequately armed.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on November 12, 2009, 10:44:08 AM
I guess it's the only person or thing in Camden not adequately armed.

Whenever I'm on the bus to or from Philadelphia, we have to go briefly through Camden- once you cross the line from Gloucester City into Camden, it looks like the whole city was shelled by the New Jersey.
Experience bij!

Martinus

I think it's funny that NATO does not have a contingency plan in case of a Russia's attack.  :lol:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2009, 10:46:44 AM
I think it's funny that NATO does not have a contingency plan in case of a Russia's attack.  :lol:

More big fun:

The POMCUS pre-positioned divisional equipment sets that the US kept in Germany are almost empty. :w00t:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Nonsense of course it does.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 12, 2009, 11:17:33 AM

Nonsense of course it does.

Which is to sell Poland out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive