Oh, those whacky Cossacks and their military aspirations

Started by CountDeMoney, November 11, 2009, 06:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteRussia plans reactivation of two Kirov-class cruisers

The Russian Federation Navy (RFN) is to reactivate two laid-up Kirov-class (Project 1144) battle cruisers, according to statements attributed by Russian media to the country's deputy defence minister.

Colonel General Vladimir Popovkin reportedly said that the Ministry of Defence has decided to renovate and modernise its heavy nuclear-powered missile cruiser (tiazhyeliy atomniy raketniy kreiser/TARK) units Admiral Lazarev (ex- Frunze ) and Admiral Nakhimov (ex- Kalinin ).

The 24,300-ton ships were commissioned into the Soviet Navy in 1984 and 1988, the second and third vessels in a class that eventually numbered four. Col Gen Popovkin made no mention of the lead ship, Admiral Ushakov (ex- Kirov ), which entered service in 1980 and was decommissioned in 2004, appearing to confirm earlier reports that it is to be scrapped.

The RFN currently has one ship of the class in service, Pyotr Velikiy (ex- Yuri Andropov , ex- Kuibishev ), which was launched in St Petersburg in 1989 and commissioned in 1998.

I suggest we recommission the Iowa and Wisconsin in response.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

To make you feel better Seedy, there are 6 Burke's under construction.

However, no new Tico's
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Russia trying to become a naval power is a good thing. They will surely fail but its money away from the army whilst they're doing it.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2009, 06:39:14 PM

Screw them, lets do what the ruskis did in the '60s, build anti ship missiles.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on November 11, 2009, 08:29:20 PM
Screw them, lets do what the ruskis did in the '60s, build anti ship missiles.

Why the hell not, there's no more ABM Treaty.

ALCMs for everybody!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Warspite on November 11, 2009, 06:52:28 PM
And we'll decommission more of our navy!

There's still time for you guys to cancel your two new carriers, too.  :P
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2009, 06:39:14 PMI suggest we recommission the Iowa and Wisconsin in response.

This is probably less about measuring up to the US and more about being able to bully various ex-Soviet republics and Europeans with coastlines.

DontSayBanana

QuoteRussia plans reactivation of two Kirov-class cruisers

The Russian Federation Navy (RFN) is to reactivate two laid-up Kirov-class (Project 1144) battle cruisers, according to statements attributed by Russian media to the country's deputy defence minister.

Colonel General Vladimir Popovkin reportedly said that the Ministry of Defence has decided to renovate and modernise its heavy nuclear-powered missile cruiser (tiazhyeliy atomniy raketniy kreiser/TARK) units Admiral Lazarev (ex- Frunze ) and Admiral Nakhimov (ex- Kalinin ).

The 24,300-ton ships were commissioned into the Soviet Navy in 1984 and 1988, the second and third vessels in a class that eventually numbered four. Col Gen Popovkin made no mention of the lead ship, Admiral Ushakov (ex- Kirov ), which entered service in 1980 and was decommissioned in 2004, appearing to confirm earlier reports that it is to be scrapped.

The RFN currently has one ship of the class in service, Pyotr Velikiy (ex- Yuri Andropov , ex- Kuibishev ), which was launched in St Petersburg in 1989 and commissioned in 1998.

We've got the New Jersey sitting right in Camden; all they'd really need to do is unweld the gun ports. :contract:
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on November 11, 2009, 09:23:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2009, 06:39:14 PMI suggest we recommission the Iowa and Wisconsin in response.

This is probably less about measuring up to the US and more about being able to bully various ex-Soviet republics and Europeans with coastlines.

Some of which are in NATO.  And when it comes to dick-measuring contests, I want us to pull out enough to win.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 11, 2009, 09:24:21 PMWe've got the New Jersey sitting right in Camden; all they'd really need to do is unweld the gun ports. :contract:

That's a no-go, sailor.  We need to maintain the New Jersey where it is, as a strategic location for any future Bon Jovi concerts.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2009, 09:24:46 PMSome of which are in NATO.  And when it comes to dick-measuring contests, I want us to pull out enough to win.

It warms my heart that when it comes to feckless Euros in Nato versus Russia, you're still on the side of the Euros  :hug:

As for dick-measuring, isn't it better to put in rather than pull out?  In any case, I'm just assuming the US wins... is it even an issue?

Neil

Is that a real response, given that the missile destroyers the US is building are several times more combat effective, and much less likely to suffer a critical reactor failure and sink?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on November 11, 2009, 09:32:58 PM
Is that a real response, given that the missile destroyers the US is building are several times more combat effective, and much less likely to suffer a critical reactor failure and sink?

Yes it is.  Particularly since the BBs could be staffed with smaller crews with greater automation.

And, we still have outstanding Naval Gunfire Support issues.