News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

FRED PHELPS HATES TURKEY!

Started by Queequeg, March 29, 2009, 12:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Actually started feeling really sorry for everyone but the old man, even a little sorry for him in the same way I would feel sorry for Hitler.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7735501683185935638&ei=8vHOSe24C6bOqAL1xZGRDQ&q=louis+theroux&hl=en&client=firefox-a
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Interesting video.

Something that struck me is how incredibly modern the group is. The self-absorption, attention whoring, blithe unconcern with the opinions of others and pride in their own exceptionalism fit perfectly into this age of reality television and youtube. They are followers of a new cult, not relics practicing ye olde time religion.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Habbaku

Thanks for the link, Spellus.

I have to agree; I feel a bit of sympathy and pity for just about everyone involved (especially the children), but none at all for the patriarch of the clan.  He was rather plainly filled with anger at everything around him.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Funnily enough, I have just listened to the Feast of Fools podcast, with the hosts interviewing Shirley Phelps. It's chilling how sane she otherwise seems, it's as if she was this normal person in 90% with 10% of her mind being this loony bin.

Martinus

Her message was pretty much that the "hate the sin love the sinner" message is a hypocritical bullshit.

Either you are a Christian, and should be putting gays to death for practicing sodomy and abomination, or you should support them - in which case there are absolutely no grounds to deny them gay marriage and equal rights.

Also - which was rather disturbing - she has a sense of humour. When asked about her favourite song she said "God Hates the World (And all the children)".

Also, she has some common ground with me - she hates the Pope. :P

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2009, 04:29:17 AM
Also - which was rather disturbing - she has a sense of humour. When asked about her favourite song she said "God Hates the World (And all the children)".

Not sure she was trying to be funny. It's a WBC rewrite of "We are the World". You can watch it on their website (link's in my "God Hates Your Country" thread).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2009, 04:25:43 AM
Funnily enough, I have just listened to the Feast of Fools podcast, with the hosts interviewing Shirley Phelps. It's chilling how sane she otherwise seems, it's as if she was this normal person in 90% with 10% of her mind being this loony bin.

I don't know about sane, but she does remind me of several women I've known.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2009, 04:31:29 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2009, 04:29:17 AM

Not sure she was trying to be funny. It's a WBC rewrite of "We are the World". You can watch it on their website (link's in my "God Hates Your Country" thread).
Yeah, but she chuckled at that. She also made some other jokes.

She said it's a parody.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2009, 04:32:45 AM

Yeah, but she chuckled at that. She also made some other jokes.

She said it's a parody.

Well, it's hard to tell with them. For a long time I thought that the whole "God hates ..." thing is a parody, like Landover Baptist.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

I think the Phelpses have one thing right - at least from a purely rational perspective, if the Bible is the word of God, then only the biblical literalists are right, and any attempts to accommodate the love for fags, divorcees or shellfish into otherwise Christian religious beliefs is misguided and simply violates the holy revelation.

It just shows how outdated and out of whack religion is.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2009, 04:39:50 AM
I think the Phelpses have one thing right - at least from a purely rational perspective, if the Bible is the word of God, then only the biblical literalists are right, and any attempts to accommodate the love for fags, divorcees or shellfish into otherwise Christian religious beliefs is misguided and simply violates the holy revelation. .
Well, yeah.  But almost no-one claims the Bible is the word of God in and of itself.  As Blessed Cardinal Newman put it scripture is proof not the origin of doctrine.

I mean even linguistically in the Christian tradition only the New Testament has ever been considered the word of God (Gospel, comes from Godes Spel, God's word in Anglo-Saxon) and even that's been with a great number of caveats.  I do think, however, that this is a fundamental problem with certain sorts of Protestantism. If the Bible's the true word of God how can you be a cuddly Methodist.  The CofE, to its credit, acknowledges more than one source of doctrine and are, theologically, like a more liberal and decentralised Catholic Church.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2009, 04:25:43 AM
I'm sure she's more functional than you.  She'd never listen to Feast of Fools, after all.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

I think the Phelpses have one thing right - at least from a purely rational perspective, if the Bible is the word of God, then only the biblical literalists are right, and any attempts to accommodate the love for fags, divorcees or shellfish into otherwise Christian religious beliefs is misguided and simply violates the holy revelation.

It just shows how outdated and out of whack religion is.
Except that biblical inerrancy and literalism are held by only a tiny minority of Christians.  But don't let that stop you from shooting your mouth off.  Or rather, go buy a gun, and kill yourself today.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

I think the Phelpses have one thing right - at least from a purely rational perspective, if the Bible is the word of God, then only the biblical literalists are right

Then they should read it in the original Hebrew and Greek (with a heavy "yiddish" accent as my Latin teacher called it) in the context of the times. That's where the Muslims are right in a way - if you translate "The Word of God" (i.e. the Quran) then it loses its meaning.
—Stephen Jay Gould