And we're back!

Main Menu

FRED PHELPS HATES TURKEY!

Started by Queequeg, March 29, 2009, 12:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2009, 10:05:28 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2009, 04:39:50 AM
I think the Phelpses have one thing right - at least from a purely rational perspective, if the Bible is the word of God, then only the biblical literalists are right

Then they should read it in the original Hebrew and Greek (with a heavy "yiddish" accent as my Latin teacher called it) in the context of the times.
Shouldn't it be with an Aramaic accent? Yiddish didn't even exist then.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

I think the Phelpses have one thing right - at least from a purely rational perspective, if the Bible is the word of God, then only the biblical literalists are right, and any attempts to accommodate the love for fags, divorcees or shellfish into otherwise Christian religious beliefs is misguided and simply violates the holy revelation.

It just shows how outdated and out of whack religion is.

Anything will be outdated and out of whack if you try to have it be unchanging for thousands of years.  And anyway that is only if you obsess about certain parts of the Bible and ignore all the stuff about loving yourself and others and not judging others and all that stuff.  Jesus said the entire Bible could be summed up as loving God and loving your neighbor and yourself and all the other shit will just go along with it.  From that perspective it is not very rational to hate everybody and judge them.

Also if you do read the Bible literally you will notice that the laws of Leviticus apply ONLY to the nation of Israel.  So unless you are Jewish you do not have to follow them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2009, 04:29:17 AM
Her message was pretty much that the "hate the sin love the sinner" message is a hypocritical bullshit.

It is amazing how retarded people become when they start to obsess over not being hypocrits.  The only thing worse than being a hypocrit is to try not to be one and thus take everything to absurd extremes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2009, 10:06:58 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2009, 10:05:28 AM
I think the Phelpses have one thing right - at least from a purely rational perspective, if the Bible is the word of God, then only the biblical literalists are right

Then they should read it in the original Hebrew and Greek (with a heavy "yiddish" accent as my Latin teacher called it) in the context of the times.
Shouldn't it be with an Aramaic accent? Yiddish didn't even exist then.

Of course Yiddish didn't exist - neither did the German it's related with. He used "Yiddish" to explain that it was very accented.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2009, 10:24:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2009, 04:29:17 AM
Her message was pretty much that the "hate the sin love the sinner" message is a hypocritical bullshit.

It is amazing how retarded people become when they start to obsess over not being hypocrits.  The only thing worse than being a hypocrit is to try not to be one and thus take everything to absurd extremes.
People who use 'hypocrite' as a pejorative are almost exclusively adolescents, or otherwise developmentally retarded (due to their stunted emotional development, I'd put adult homosexuals into the second group).  What they pathetically call hypocrisy, most people call maturity.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2009, 10:25:07 AM
Of course Yiddish didn't exist - neither did the German it's related with. He used "Yiddish" to explain that it was very accented.
Or possibly because he's an antisemite.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2009, 10:56:14 AM

Would have been self-hating in that case.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2009, 11:02:46 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2009, 10:56:14 AM

Would have been self-hating in that case.
Was he in Europe?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2009, 10:53:44 AM
People who use 'hypocrite' as a pejorative are almost exclusively adolescents, or otherwise developmentally retarded (due to their stunted emotional development, I'd put adult homosexuals into the second group).  What they pathetically call hypocrisy, most people call maturity.
There might be some nugget of truth lurking in there but I can't see it.  Are people who espouse principles similarly adolescent or emotionally stunted?

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2009, 11:17:47 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2009, 10:53:44 AM
There might be some nugget of truth lurking in there but I can't see it.  Are people who espouse principles similarly adolescent or emotionally stunted?
No.  Just people who can't compromise them when necessary.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2009, 10:53:44 AMPeople who use 'hypocrite' as a pejorative are almost exclusively adolescents, or otherwise developmentally retarded (due to their stunted emotional development, I'd put adult homosexuals into the second group).  What they pathetically call hypocrisy, most people call maturity.
Seriously. Homogeneous reactions are predictable, and often unwise.
Experience bij!