Grants Get Ayn Rand’s Ideas Covered in Kentucky Classrooms

Started by Caliga, November 11, 2009, 08:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2009, 01:28:49 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2009, 01:10:24 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2009, 05:17:32 PM
Tolkien was a genuine linguist, so researching his made-up language might be a valuable thing. a whole course seems more than a trifle excessive though.

Obviously the point was a linguistic exercise but it also had the advantage of making the department money by attracting lots of Tolkein nerds who normally would never touch a linguistics class.

What would really be worrying is if the end of term project was to translate Mein Kampf into Elvish.  :D

:lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2009, 01:28:49 PM
[What would really be worrying is if the end of term project was to translate Mein Kampf into Elvish.  :D

Hmmmm...people are fascinated by Nazis and elves...what we need is Nazi elves!  I think you have a winner here.

Well I guess ninja pirate Nazi elves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Vince

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 09:56:21 AM
I'm sure you will both say the exact same thing about The Fountainhead:lol:

Roark should have got the electric chair.   :menace:

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2009, 02:23:45 PM
Hmmmm...people are fascinated by Nazis and elves...what we need is Nazi elves!  I think you have a winner here.
Nazi elves is a great idea.  I'ma make a d20 setting with Nazi elves and Roman centurions riding around on Harley road hogs throwing pila.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Vince on November 12, 2009, 02:24:22 PM
Roark should have got the electric chair.   :menace:
Well, at the very least he should have been imprisoned for raping Dominique.  That was a very disturbing scene btw and an effective window into Rand's skewed vision of the world.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on November 12, 2009, 12:46:45 PM
Is it me or is it really important to grumbler that people don't read Mein Kampf? Hmm.
My efforts didn't have the legs I expected them to when I wrote them down.  They are just an embarrassment now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 02:26:09 PM
Well, at the very least he should have been imprisoned for raping Dominique.  That was a very disturbing scene btw and an effective window into Rand's skewed vision of the world.
It wasn't rape, according to Rand.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Well I guess ninja pirate Nazi elves.

Vampire pirate ninja Nazi elves.  Sucking and sacking before the dawn of time.
Experience bij!

Caliga

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 10:02:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 12, 2009, 02:39:11 PM
That is sort of my point. -_-

Yeah, I never got that either---And yeah, I read it in high school too. Any religion that condones rape has to be evil. Also, how do the Kentucky creationists react to this atheist infiltration, I wonder? :shifty:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

I would be shocked if that crowd has ever even heard of Rand/Objectivism.

The Larch

In some fantasy settings, elves' attitudes towards non-elves are downright Hitleresque, so they're not *that* far away.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 10:02:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 12, 2009, 02:39:11 PM
That is sort of my point. -_-
So your point was that at the very least, he should have been imprisoned for having consensual sex with Dominique?  :huh:

Whatevah.

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Unless I am recalling this scene incorrectly, he started off by raping her and then she started to actually enjoy it.  As I understand it, this is a very uncommon (or maybe even unheard-of) outcome to rape in reality.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 13, 2009, 08:21:06 AM
Unless I am recalling this scene incorrectly, he started off by raping her and then she started to actually enjoy it.  As I understand it, this is a very uncommon (or maybe even unheard-of) outcome to rape in reality.
You are recalling it incorrectly.  She wanted him to take her by force.  There was nothing non-consensual about this sex, as Rand has confirmed.

Reality, of course, has nothing whatever to do with Rand novels (and perhaps even her "non-fiction," though that is a matter of debate).

Dunno how it can be your point that this was not rape, and that it is also your point that it "started off" as rape.

I personally think this is a metaphor for Rand's idea of how man treats nature, and why such putative "rape" is actually good, because nature wants to be "raped" (for chaste nature has no purpose).  But that is beside the point that Rand has confirmed that this wasn't rape (and Dominique's later claims and thoughts that it was were lies and self-delusion).

Bayraktar!