Grants Get Ayn Rand’s Ideas Covered in Kentucky Classrooms

Started by Caliga, November 11, 2009, 08:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on November 13, 2009, 07:11:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2009, 02:23:45 PM
Hmmmm...people are fascinated by Nazis and elves...what we need is Nazi elves!  I think you have a winner here.

In some fantasy settings, elves' attitudes towards non-elves are downright Hitleresque, so they're not *that* far away.

all elves, hobbits, kender and other annoying races should be liquidated.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2009, 10:06:21 AM
Isn't this German for children?

*Ice cream, Mandrake. Children's ice cream!*
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2009, 10:22:52 AM

D&D thing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2009, 10:28:29 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2009, 10:22:52 AM

D&D thing.

Dragon lance only.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2009, 09:35:10 AM
I personally think this is a metaphor for Rand's idea of how man treats nature, and why such putative "rape" is actually good, because nature wants to be "raped" (for chaste nature has no purpose).  But that is beside the point that Rand has confirmed that this wasn't rape (and Dominique's later claims and thoughts that it was were lies and self-delusion).
Ok, thank you for clarifying this... I didn't know Rand had made these comments about the scene.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 13, 2009, 06:57:15 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2009, 09:35:10 AM
I personally think this is a metaphor for Rand's idea of how man treats nature, and why such putative "rape" is actually good, because nature wants to be "raped" (for chaste nature has no purpose).  But that is beside the point that Rand has confirmed that this wasn't rape (and Dominique's later claims and thoughts that it was were lies and self-delusion).
Ok, thank you for clarifying this... I didn't know Rand had made these comments about the scene.
Yeah.  Agree that it shows Rand's bizarre view of "what women want" but also think that one has to be careful about how one view her "protagonists."  They are almost never flawed in the way a reader would think them flawed, which is another reason not to assign her books to a high school (or any other) reading class.

Except maybe a college course on dysfunctional characters written by writers with a disdain for actual human motivations.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 08:25:27 AM
As I've stated numerous times before on Languish, I think her books are interesting and worthy of consideration if only because she presents a surprisingly different viewpoint from almost everything else a typical high schooler might encounter.
But that's not the point of an English lesson.  Perhaps you could assign it in a course on social studies, with 'The Ragged Trouser Philanthropists' as counter-point, but not in English.

I'm terribly Victorian about the purpose of English in schools - a real latter-day Matthew Arnold.  But I believe that the goal of English lessons is to set a flame that'll burn for a lifetime.  For the kids who are interested it's to provide them with what will be a life-long hinterland and love of our literary heritage.  Aside from that it's to teach people about the methods of communication and some appreciation of literature - I think they should learn meter and so on.  English is one of those courses which I think really depends on the teacher, but everyone I know who had one good English teacher - no matter what they now do - have at least one book, one poet or even one poem that they really love that that teacher helped them understand.  That's what English is for, not to learn viewpoints.  If it was about different viewpoints I imagine we would have cut Milton from the curriculum by now :p
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

That's a good point.  When I was in school, we did not have philosophy classes, so English ended up being kind of a dumping ground for everything that couldn't easily be categorized elsewhere.  English lessons in the sense of "grammar lessons" stopped by the time I got to 9th grade.  The final years of high school English were bascially just literature courses.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points