Grants Get Ayn Rand’s Ideas Covered in Kentucky Classrooms

Started by Caliga, November 11, 2009, 08:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I actually read Mein Kampf in high school as well, and have no problem recommending others do so.  It plainly illustrates Hitler's insanity and is a good way IMO to prevent Nazism from being attractive to future generatons.  :cool:

I'm sure you will both say the exact same thing about The Fountainhead:lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 09:56:21 AM
I actually read Mein Kampf in high school as well, and have no problem recommending others do so.  It plainly illustrates Hitler's insanity and is a good way IMO to prevent Nazism from being attractive to future generatons.  :cool:

Mein Kampf, along with the Satanic bible was standard reading fare for the freaks and losers at my high school. You know, the kids in the denim jackets that sat in the back and smelled funny.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 09:56:21 AM
I cannot imagine a teacher assigning Mein Kampf as one of the two dozen or so books the student will typically be assigned in a high school career.  You got gypped out of reading something equally portentous but which also would teach you something about writing.  A small sample of Mein Kampf is plenty to reach one how NOT to write.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

I tried reading Mein Kampf once, in translation of course. I even have a really cool pre-ww2 copy of it - maybe its even worth some cash, I dunno - but I found it terribly tedious.

Maybe it was better in the original German. I was hoping for some entertaining *All Jews Must Die!!!* ranting, and what I got was - emo whining.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on November 12, 2009, 10:53:34 AM
I cannot imagine a teacher assigning Mein Kampf as one of the two dozen or so books the student will typically be assigned in a high school career.  You got gypped out of reading something equally portentous but which also would teach you something about writing.  A small sample of Mein Kampf is plenty to reach one how NOT to write.

It wasn't assigned reading for me, but it was strongly recommended by my US History 2 teacher for precisely those reasons.  It helped to understand just how far off the deep end Hitler actually was, and it also worked as a great example of what to avoid in writing.  Even ghost-edited, the writing is still incredibly crappy.

I ended up reading it along with Im Westen Nichts Neues (All Quiet on the Western Front- not being a Deutschophile, but a copy in the original German was given to me for free :P)
Experience bij!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on November 12, 2009, 10:53:34 AM
:huh: I had to read alot more than two dozen books.  The inclusion of Mein Kampf causes (or caused... dunno if it still happens) periodic controversy since my district is at least 50% Jewish.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 11:17:42 AM
:huh: I had to read alot more than two dozen books.   
:huh:  Understand, but most people don't spend 3 years as a sophomore, and so spent fewer years in High School than you did.

QuoteThe inclusion of Mein Kampf causes (or caused... dunno if it still happens) periodic controversy since my district is at least 50% Jewish.
Dunno why this is relevant.  The book is crap writing and mostly useless for historical analysis even when read by non-Jews.  Your loss was the opportunity loss of not reading something both more relevant and more enlightening.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Is it me or is it really important to grumbler that people don't read Mein Kampf? Hmm.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2009, 05:17:32 PM
Tolkien was a genuine linguist, so researching his made-up language might be a valuable thing. a whole course seems more than a trifle excessive though.

Obviously the point was a linguistic exercise but it also had the advantage of making the department money by attracting lots of Tolkein nerds who normally would never touch a linguistics class.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2009, 01:10:24 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 11, 2009, 05:17:32 PM
Tolkien was a genuine linguist, so researching his made-up language might be a valuable thing. a whole course seems more than a trifle excessive though.

Obviously the point was a linguistic exercise but it also had the advantage of making the department money by attracting lots of Tolkein nerds who normally would never touch a linguistics class.

What would really be worrying is if the end of term project was to translate Mein Kampf into Elvish.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on November 12, 2009, 12:41:26 PM
:huh:  Understand, but most people don't spend 3 years as a sophomore, and so spent fewer years in High School than you did.
Point in fact I only spent three years in high school altogether.  :cool:

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on November 12, 2009, 12:46:45 PM
Is it me or is it really important to grumbler that people don't read Mein Kampf? Hmm.
Methinks he doth protest too much.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.