Grants Get Ayn Rand’s Ideas Covered in Kentucky Classrooms

Started by Caliga, November 11, 2009, 08:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on November 11, 2009, 01:04:15 PM
I learned about Rand in high school English.  I've said on here before that I think her books are worthy of inclusion in like an American lit class or perhaps a philosophy class.  I also don't get the constant Languish criticism that they're boring or badly written.  I could hardly put The Fountainhead down.  The major issue I see with her writing is that she tends to like absurdly long monologues in which people deliver unrealistic dialogue... but she's hardly the only writer with this shortcoming.

:yes: There are certainly enough authors in the American literary canon who've been guilty of this.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2009, 03:18:42 PM
Well the UT Austin language department teaches a course on Tolkein's made up Elven language.  I bet those kid's parents were delighted to see that on their bill.

Taxpayers ought to be pissed, as well.  On the other hand, if this were the only example of waste & stupidity at universities, we'd all be better off.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2009, 02:38:54 PM
Speaking of which, I got exposed to an awful lot of Keynesianism in addition to that other stuff  <_<
:huh:

Fate

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 11, 2009, 01:17:56 PM
If private universities want to sell out and teach junk philosophy that is their prerogative.

EDIT: actually the class as described seems pretty unobjectionable.

Well the UT Austin language department teaches a course on Tolkein's made up Elven language.  I bet those kid's parents were delighted to see that on their bill.
:lol:

Didn't see that one in the course catalog...

Ed Anger

If private universities want to sell out and teach junk philosophy that is their prerogative.

You know, I'd be pissed if my goddaughter took a course like that. Pissed off like Sauron.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Fate on November 11, 2009, 04:12:42 PM
:lol:

Didn't see that one in the course catalog...

Well they might not be offering it this semester but they did when my ex-fiancee was at UT.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Tolkien was a genuine linguist, so researching his made-up language might be a valuable thing. a whole course seems more than a trifle excessive though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2009, 01:00:02 PM
A little Rand will hurt no one :)

Of course not.  Unfortunately, a lot of Rand wound up hurting everyone.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 11, 2009, 01:04:15 PM
I learned about Rand in high school English.  I've said on here before that I think her books are worthy of inclusion in like an American lit class or perhaps a philosophy class.  I also don't get the constant Languish criticism that they're boring or badly written.  I could hardly put The Fountainhead down.  The major issue I see with her writing is that she tends to like absurdly long monologues in which people deliver unrealistic dialogue... but she's hardly the only writer with this shortcoming.
The fact that rand is not absolutely dreadful in every possible way, rather than just being dreadful in terms of character development, dialogue, and plotting, is not a reason to read her books.

Being no worse than some other authors doesn't make an author good.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

As I've stated numerous times before on Languish, I think her books are interesting and worthy of consideration if only because she presents a surprisingly different viewpoint from almost everything else a typical high schooler might encounter.

I'm sure you will agree that one of the main goals of our educational system should be the broadening of one's horizons. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

bogh

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 08:25:27 AM
As I've stated numerous times before on Languish, I think her books are interesting and worthy of consideration if only because she presents a surprisingly different viewpoint from almost everything else a typical high schooler might encounter.

I'm sure you will agree that one of the main goals of our educational system should be the broadening of one's horizons. :)
What I disagree with is your apparent belief that reading Rand's books is the best way to study her viewpoint.  I disagree.  Given the limited number of books that students will get a chance to read in high school, making one of Rand's books one of them seems to me to be foolish - it would prevent students from being exposed to another, more worthy author (whose ideas and writing are of interest).

I'm sure you will agree that one of the main goals of our educational system should be to be the presentation of emulation-worthy subjects that broaden one's horizons. :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alatriste

Quote from: Caliga on November 12, 2009, 08:25:27 AM

That sounds quite reasonable. What about Mao's Red Book, for example? And that Austrian's book... now what was his name, Sicklegruber or something like that?  :P

Everyone calls what the books he likes do 'broadening one's horizons'. But the things the books we hate do... now they deserve other names, like 'poisoning one's mind'.

For the record, I have only read 'The Fountainhead'. I hated it, by the way... (and I agree with Grumbler, too)