News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Science Trivia Thread

Started by Viking, November 09, 2009, 11:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Anyway, below is a crystal of the metal with the highest diamagnetic property. What element is it?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maximus

alfred russel

Quote from: Maximus on November 10, 2009, 11:32:01 AM
Is it possible though that some event in the past caused it to speed up? An asteroid impact, for example, or near miss.

Someone can jump in if I'm wrong, but orbiting bodies tend to slow down their rotation and synch with the body they are orbiting. That is why there is a dark side of the moon--the moon has fully synched up and no longer rotates--thus there is only one side that faces us.

For an asteroid collision to change our rotation that much, I'm guessing it would result in the total extinction of any life larger than a few cells.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Fuck it's even a geology question and I can't get it.  I can't even remember what diamagnetic means.

Let's guess the obvious - iron (although I can't recall ever seeing an iron crystal before)?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Maximus

Quote from: alfred russel on November 10, 2009, 11:44:44 AM
Quote from: Maximus on November 10, 2009, 11:32:01 AM
Is it possible though that some event in the past caused it to speed up? An asteroid impact, for example, or near miss.

For an asteroid collision to change our rotation that much, I'm guessing it would result in the total extinction of any life larger than a few cells.
yea probably. Was just a thought.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on November 10, 2009, 11:45:56 AM
Fuck it's even a geology question and I can't get it.  I can't even remember what diamagnetic means.

Let's guess the obvious - iron (although I can't recall ever seeing an iron crystal before)?
Nope, iron is ferromagnetic.
QuoteSilver?
nope

Caliga

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

Damn, that's an hard question.

What's the difference between ferro & dia magnetic?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Quote from: Viking on November 10, 2009, 11:55:29 AM
Bismuth?
Correct.

In simple terms, a ferromagnetic material is attracted by magnets, a diamagnetic material is repelled.

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 10, 2009, 11:55:54 AM
Damn, that's an hard question.

What's the difference between ferro & dia magnetic?

Ferromagnetism means that the magnetic field is set by the structure of the material. Basically normal magnets.

Diamagnetism means that the material gives off a magnetic field opposite to the field acting on it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Maximus

By the way, the human body is diamagnetic. Given a powerful enough magnetic field and the right conditions you could levitate on it.

Of course no telling what else that level of energy would do to you.