Straight exes - the quiet voice for gay marriage

Started by Martinus, November 09, 2009, 12:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on November 09, 2009, 06:32:51 PM
Even with straight relationships its seen as a bad thing for the man to talk too much of love, commitment and all that with his peers.

Well I will listen to a friend talk about that stuff but really it just doesn't interest us much.  Men typically bond over common interests instead of sharing stuff about relationships.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2009, 05:34:01 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 09, 2009, 02:14:15 PM
I call bollocks.
Gay marriage isn't going to make some gays wish they were straight and enter into straight relationships.
It will only help those who are already utterly confirmed gays.

I'm not sure I agree that it is meaningless. After all, one of the reasons it took me a while to come out was because I thought being gay was something shameful. If there had been government recognize partnerships, that would have gone a long way for me.

I think this is a big reason for many gays. They simply want recognition that they are (or at least can be) as dull and boring as all the straight people who get married.
:p

Berkut

But this basically saying this is a means to an end, rather than the end itself.

And people thinking that if only there had been gay marriage, then my gay spouse would not ahve married me are kidding themselves. They didn't marry you because they wanted to be married, they married you because they didn't want to be gay at all, or at least wanted to hide it.

I would hope that as time goes on, and I suspect this is the case, that this kind of thing becomes much less common. After all, even without gay marriage being legal, being gay is much more socially acceptable today, especially in those places with large gay populations.

I certainly think gay marriage should be allowed, but I don't think a compelling argument for it is to protect straight people from marrying gay people.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2009, 01:30:19 PM
But this basically saying this is a means to an end, rather than the end itself.

True.  That was the distinction I missed in my rather undeserved flaming of Yi.

The only way to "protect" straight people from this sort of thing is acceptance of gayness, it is just that gay marriage tends to go hand in hand with that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2009, 01:30:19 PM

It's a bit of both really.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.