News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CFL:football for lame Canucks

Started by Barrister, November 08, 2009, 01:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Is this the Barrister Blog thread?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

The BC Lions make the playoffs?  Disgusting.

Then again, so are the Blue Bombers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on November 08, 2009, 04:30:17 PM

It was a disgusting performance today, this is true.  <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Cross over, East sucks ass.

CFL needs more fucking team, like 12 of them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2009, 09:01:11 AM

Cross over, East sucks ass.

CFL needs more fucking team, like 12 of them.

I'd be happy with teams in Ottawa and Halifax.

Two more beyond that starts to get tricky though.

Grey Fox

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2009, 12:05:11 PM
There's place for more in the GTA

*borrowed from old hockey joke*

But if the GTA gets a football team, Toronto will want one too.

Barrister

Nah - Toronto doesn't care about the Argos as is.  The CFL would be a lot more successful putting teams in secondary markets.  CFL in Toronto (and BC and Montreal) suffer from being seen as 2nd tier sports.  But put a team in, I dunno, London or Oshawa or wherever and they'd own that local market.

Grey Fox

I don't know about BC but the Als arent 2nd tier. Their stadium is going to be bigger then the Bell Centre next year & it's full at every game.

Admiral Yi

My Haitian taxi driver in Montreal spoke very enthusiastically about the Allouettes.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 09, 2009, 02:33:48 PM
I don't know about BC but the Als arent 2nd tier. Their stadium is going to be bigger then the Bell Centre next year & it's full at every game.
Indeed.  Being about twice as good as any other team in the league definitely helps build a fanbase.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

It's semi-final Sunday.  :cool:

My picks are:

BC and Calgary

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2009, 02:18:29 PM

Nah - Toronto doesn't care about the Argos as is.  The CFL would be a lot more successful putting teams in secondary markets.  CFL in Toronto (and BC and Montreal) suffer from being seen as 2nd tier sports.  But put a team in, I dunno, London or Oshawa or wherever and they'd own that local market.

I think the CFL should do two tier levels at least, go to smaller markets, have an " A "League and a "B" League or simply east and west. If you don't have NFL sized expectations, you could build in more markets. Canadian football is exciting, imo, and they should go the route of lower level teams, but wiith more penetration. It's already reasonably priced, make it moreso, and in more places. Halifax, Victoria, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto could support "B" Teams easily.

This would take a lot of will though. I don't know that the powers that be would go for that approach. I'd love it if there were at least 1 CFL team in every feasible Province or Territory.
:p

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on November 15, 2009, 02:28:37 PM
This would take a lot of will though. I don't know that the powers that be would go for that approach. I'd love it if there were at least 1 CFL team in every feasible Province or Territory.
Why add 'and territory'?  There is no territory that is feasible for a CFL team.  Ignoring the fact that the inhabitants of the territories spend their entire disposable incomes on alcohol and anything you can get high on by huffing, the weather turns cold in a hurry up there.  Playing in November or October wouldn't be that great, and there's no way that Whitehorse or Yellowknife could build a dome.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on November 15, 2009, 02:49:13 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on November 15, 2009, 02:28:37 PM
Why add 'and territory'?  There is no territory that is feasible for a CFL team.  Ignoring the fact that the inhabitants of the territories spend their entire disposable incomes on alcohol and anything you can get high on by huffing, the weather turns cold in a hurry up there.  Playing in November or October wouldn't be that great, and there's no way that Whitehorse or Yellowknife could build a dome.

:rolleyes:

But more seriously, you want places where you can pull 15-20,000 fans per game.  Simple mathematics rules out the territories.