And we're back!

Main Menu

A NATO Without Turkey?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 08, 2009, 07:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2009, 01:53:31 PM
Quote from: Warspite on November 09, 2009, 01:28:34 PM
He probably meant more extreme 'assimilation' in the sense of being forced to reject your heritage, I would imagine.

Yeah I have actually never heard of that sort of assimilation.

The French model is criticised for veering too far in that direction. And on the extreme end, you have historical examples like Canadian and Australian residential schools.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Queequeg

Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2009, 10:36:16 PM

Jepp, and everybody (except the americans) seem to reciprocate.
Turkey is a weird place.

The Turks were the best and only Sword of Islam for maybe 600 years, and were responsible for turning the tide against Europe and the expansion into India and beyond.  Thus they get a bad reputation in most of Europe, as they attempted to spread Islam and the Ottoman state was basically plunder and slave dependent.  They also get a bad reputation in the Islamic World, as the Turks have ruled the Arab world since the early Seljuks. The Turkish Republic also has a really nasty racist, nationalist streak that predates Attaturk, alienating a lot of people with the denial of the Armenian genocide and the invasion of Cyprus.  They are also alternatively fawning towards Central Asian Turkic peoples, who view them (correctly) as far more Mediterranean than Turkic.  Frankly, I don't think Turkey has many friends besides Albania and the Muslim bits of Bosnia.  It is a bit like Russia in that way, I guess, only Russia is a bit smarter and more pragmatic in its insanity.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Warspite on November 09, 2009, 01:28:34 PM
He probably meant more extreme 'assimilation' in the sense of being forced to reject your heritage, I would imagine.

Yeah I have actually never heard of that sort of assimilation.  That sounds like a scare tactic, some sort of straw man to attack.  OMG!  Don't give an inch or you will lose your Turkishness foreva!

They will simply be Germans who have Turkish ancestory and cultural traditions who will feel very Turkish...until they go back to Turkey someday and realize how very German they actually are also.  Like most "assimilated" immigrants.

It's a fear I've heard of amongst hispanics.  I suppose it's valid since I don't know German or have anything resembling German culture.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sahib

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2009, 12:14:01 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 09, 2009, 12:12:36 PM
That probably reflects where Vienna gets it's Turks from Syt. I've been assured by friends and family that have visited Istanbul that the city is much more Western than expected. Maybe the Turks in Vienna come largely from some eastern hellhole.

Why?  Why would they do live in a city full of degenerate westerners they despise?  Why don't they immigrate to a Muslim country?

I just do not get it.  It makes me overjoyed with our immigrants.

Monies. I think it's common knowledge that most immigrants are from poor people from rural areas. If you're a comfortable middle class Istambulite, why would you ever want to emigrate? It's certainly true in case of Poland, both with the recent British Isles wave as well as with Polish-Americans (which is why they're so often an embarrassment)
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2009, 12:14:01 PM
Why?  Why would they do live in a city full of degenerate westerners they despise?  Why don't they immigrate to a Muslim country?
Muslim countries are poor, and don't have hefty social welfare programs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

They will simply be Germans who have Turkish ancestory and cultural traditions who will feel very Turkish...until they go back to Turkey someday and realize how very German they actually are also.  Like most "assimilated" immigrants.

Apparently such a situation is what drove the leader of the cell that carried out of the Madrid attacks to become a Jihadi. He was fairly integrated here, studied for his doctorate on a Spanish scholarship, had a Spanish girlfriend and the like. Then one day he took a trip back home to Tunis and found out he was no longer considered one of them. So he decided to kill a couple hundred people to prove he was.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on November 09, 2009, 12:19:35 PM
That probably reflects where Vienna gets it's Turks from Syt. I've been assured by friends and family that have visited Istanbul that the city is much more Western than expected. Maybe the Turks in Vienna come largely from some eastern hellhole.

That's what I'm getting at; I get the same feedback. The large majority of Turks coming to Germany or Austria are not from the Western parts of Turkey (which are on par with the rest of the geographical area) but from the poor/conservative East who migrate for economic reasons - many of them of course called by the respective European governments when workers were scarce.

You'll most likely notice immediately when you meet a West Turk, because they'll be much more likely to speak German, have a decent job and/or uni degree and will look down on the East Turks (who live by the bushel in my district).

I know this Turkish chick from Istanbul.  Hates the eastern part of the country, but largely because that's where Kurdish people live.

Also, she denied the Armenian genocide (it was "self-defense").  In class.  No word yet on whether the Holocaust occurred.

Obviously, my opinion of Turkey went down several points after meeting her.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Tell her her mustache is thin and unvirile.  That's particularly insulting in the Middle East.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on November 10, 2009, 12:11:13 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 09, 2009, 12:19:35 PM

That's what I'm getting at; I get the same feedback. The large majority of Turks coming to Germany or Austria are not from the Western parts of Turkey (which are on par with the rest of the geographical area) but from the poor/conservative East who migrate for economic reasons - many of them of course called by the respective European governments when workers were scarce.

You'll most likely notice immediately when you meet a West Turk, because they'll be much more likely to speak German, have a decent job and/or uni degree and will look down on the East Turks (who live by the bushel in my district).

I know this Turkish chick from Istanbul.  Hates the eastern part of the country, but largely because that's where Kurdish people live.

Also, she denied the Armenian genocide (it was "self-defense").  In class.  No word yet on whether the Holocaust occurred.

Obviously, my opinion of Turkey went down several points after meeting her.
Hot or not?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Warspite

Quote from: Iormlund on November 09, 2009, 10:21:50 PM

Apparently such a situation is what drove the leader of the cell that carried out of the Madrid attacks to become a Jihadi. He was fairly integrated here, studied for his doctorate on a Spanish scholarship, had a Spanish girlfriend and the like. Then one day he took a trip back home to Tunis and found out he was no longer considered one of them. So he decided to kill a couple hundred people to prove he was.

Interesting. I've noticed a similar - but less extreme - phenomenon with the Croatian diaspora. Some of them go back home and get a bit insecure about being considered Canadian, American or Australian before Croatian by the natives.

So then you find these people in the diaspora have the most extreme positions regarding domestic issues and what constitutes a 'true' Croat, and so on.

This can be perversely amusing given that they don't have to deal with the consequences of their views.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Larch

Quote from: Warspite on November 10, 2009, 06:41:37 AMInteresting. I've noticed a similar - but less extreme - phenomenon with the Croatian diaspora. Some of them go back home and get a bit insecure about being considered Canadian, American or Australian before Croatian by the natives.

So then you find these people in the diaspora have the most extreme positions regarding domestic issues and what constitutes a 'true' Croat, and so on.

This can be perversely amusing given that they don't have to deal with the consequences of their views.

Converts (in this scenario, people who "convert back" to their home country-ness) are always the worst kind in that sense. And we have examples of that not that faraway. For instance in P'dox there is (or was, as I haven't seen him in a looooooong time) this American guy with Irish roots that is the most stick up and obnoxious defender of Irish stuff in the forum, even more than the real Irish. Or Drakken with his Swedish-ness. Maybe he can give us some input on that feeling.

Warspite

Oh God, yes I remember that Americo-Irish guy.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on November 10, 2009, 06:51:16 AM
For instance in P'dox there is (or was, as I haven't seen him in a looooooong time) this American guy with Irish roots that is the most stick up and obnoxious defender of Irish stuff in the forum, even more than the real Irish.

I think CdM is banned on P'dox.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.