News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do all quad cores whine?

Started by Josquius, November 07, 2009, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

So...I've seen 3 quad core computers now...and when games are played on all of them they make the most horrible head hurting whining sound.
Is this common or are some quiet?
As I'm not looking forward to getting a new computer if its normal....
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

The only intensive game I played is GTA IV, and I didn't notice any whining.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

My quad-core Mac is whisper quiet.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

If the quad core whines, you are doing something wrong. Now, a bad fan could create that noise. But that's not really related to the processor itself.

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on November 08, 2009, 03:41:14 AM
If the quad core whines, you are doing something wrong. Now, a bad fan could create that noise. But that's not really related to the processor itself.
Correct.  Sounds like a bad bearing in the CPU fan (which will speed up to maintain cooling if you undertake intensive operations like process9ing games).  They are cheap and easy to replace, though.  Get the largest-diameter one you can find for your chip.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

hmm, how weird. These were all seperate computers where I heard the same problem...
It bodes well though. I'm really thinking of getting a computer soonish; transport is the only issue.

I do recall when one of them was being made the guy didn't use that stuff from the tube on the processor (coolant fluid is it?), maybe that could be it.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

I can hear the fan turning up significantly sometimes when I play games.  That's very far from quiet, but seems no where as bad as "horrible head hurting whining sound".  Almost every one of the computers that I purchased in the past 10 years behave like that.  But then, all of them are from the same company (Dell). 

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on November 08, 2009, 02:51:05 PM
hmm, how weird. These were all seperate computers where I heard the same problem...
It bodes well though. I'm really thinking of getting a computer soonish; transport is the only issue.

I do recall when one of them was being made the guy didn't use that stuff from the tube on the processor (coolant fluid is it?), maybe that could be it.
If there isn't coolant paste, then maybe the fan is speeding higher, or deformed because of the heat?  I don't really know...

Anyway, check out the Zalman fans, check the one for your particular CPU, I got one since... about 2yrs I think, and I love it.  It's quiet...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

If it is really the quad core that is whining I am sure that you won't have that problem for long. :p

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on November 10, 2009, 04:41:29 PM
If it is really the quad core that is whining I am sure that you won't have that problem for long. :p
As I've said I've seen the problem on a bunch of computers, one of which the owner has had for a good year at least now. He does mention he has trouble starting it up though...
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Has to be a fan.  Since there are no moving parts on the CPU I can't imagine it whining.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2009, 06:14:43 PM
Has to be a fan.  Since there are no moving parts on the CPU I can't imagine it whining.

Could be a fan-cover for the CPU and sound like it's coming from that general vicinity. :contract:

:P
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 10, 2009, 10:44:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2009, 06:14:43 PM

Could be a fan-cover for the CPU and sound like it's coming from that general vicinity. :contract:

:P

Yeah, like I said-- a fan.  :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

My quad-core-ed comp is my most silent to date.