News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do all quad cores whine?

Started by Josquius, November 07, 2009, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

It seems like a compromise to me.  Silent computers tend to be slow and unsuitable for playing graphics-heavy games.  If I want more power, I have to live with the noise. 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on November 17, 2009, 10:21:05 PM
It seems like a compromise to me.  Silent computers tend to be slow and unsuitable for playing graphics-heavy games.  If I want more power, I have to live with the noise. 

Untrue.  For a really heavy-duty PC, you'd have components running so hot you'd probably want to water-cool them, which runs almost completely silently.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 17, 2009, 11:15:38 PM

Untrue.  For a really heavy-duty PC, you'd have components running so hot you'd probably want to water-cool them, which runs almost completely silently.

But is water-cooling available in the mass market?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on November 17, 2009, 11:35:25 PM

"Powerful" in the mass market has little to do with real power in gaming rigs- even high-line manufacturer-built PCs have a hard time running the latest games (think Crysis or even Sims 3 on the highest graphics settings); however, the big "media" rigs tend to have a lot more surface area, meaning the fans don't have to work quite as hard.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on November 17, 2009, 11:35:25 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 17, 2009, 11:15:38 PM

Yes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

That's nonsense.  You can have a powerful and quiet computer (and you don't need to go to water cooling).  Specially these days, when we're past the race to gigahertz and over-clocking.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2009, 11:48:24 AM
You can have a powerful and quiet computer (and you don't need to go to water cooling).  Specially these days, when we're past the race to gigahertz and over-clocking.
I admire you for restraining yourself with this post.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

That's nonsense.  You can have a powerful and quiet computer (and you don't need to go to water cooling).  Specially these days, when we're past the race to gigahertz and over-clocking.
Do you have any computers in mind?

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2009, 12:53:51 PM

Do you have any computers in mind?

You know I do.   :cool:

But you can buy plenty of powerful and quiet computers that aren't named after fruit as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Scipio

Quote from: katmai on November 18, 2009, 06:29:22 PM
There is a Marcin computer?
He said "named after fruit" not "named after A fruit."
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2009, 01:03:49 PM
But you can buy plenty of powerful and quiet computers that aren't named after fruit as well.
Who wants to buy a lemon, though?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

My i7 is super quiet. My Double Xeon, not so much.

Grey Fox

Scratch that, my i7 as started to whine.

Gawd that's annoying as fuck.