At least 7 dead, 20 wounded in Fort Hood shooting

Started by Kleves, November 05, 2009, 04:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Any more clear info about whether this is somebody "going postal" or if this is an example of Daniel Pipes' "sudden jihad syndrome"? Or something else.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on November 05, 2009, 09:43:55 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 05, 2009, 09:38:43 PM
CNN is now reporting that the gunman is still alive  :huh:

Guess he got better after they killed him.

Army is not what it used to be.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2009, 12:07:42 AM
Any more clear info about whether this is somebody "going postal" or if this is an example of Daniel Pipes' "sudden jihad syndrome"? Or something else.

I'd guess primarily the former with just a slight flavor of the latter.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tonitrus

Fate

I think one of the reports said he was a Muslim "convert". Was he formerly Jewish or something? Siege is that you?

Martinus

So, apparently the guy was a Muslim convert shrink who got bad performance ratings, was vocally opposed to American interventions in Iraq and Afghanistan (apparently he often fought with his fellow soldiers about that), and was told he will be sent to Afghanistan?

:lol:

Thank God he wasn't gay, though - I mean THEN he would have been a REAL threat to the US military, and would have been discharged faster than he could say "Allahu Akbar. Death to the infidel." 

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 05, 2009, 08:57:41 PM
The AF is big on this "warrior" thing too.  Alas.

I hope they do not neglect their mages and rogues, though.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on November 06, 2009, 03:11:54 AM
So, apparently the guy was a Muslim convert shrink who got bad performance ratings, was vocally opposed to American interventions in Iraq and Afghanistan (apparently he often fought with his fellow soldiers about that), and was told he will be sent to Afghanistan?

:lol:

Thank God he wasn't gay, though - I mean THEN he would have been a REAL threat to the US military, and would have been discharged faster than he could say "Allahu Akbar. Death to the infidel."
:lol: Marti makes a good point.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on November 06, 2009, 03:11:54 AM

No shit.  They bounce cocknibblers at the slightest hint of a feather boa, but they keep allowing these idiots to stay.

The military needs to recognize that maybe there's a theme to these constant "isolated incidents" involving converted moon worshippers.

Syt

How does "Don't ask, don't tell" work with counselling, anyways? Are lesbian/gay/bi soldiers allowed to talk about this when in session with a psychiatric or spiritual counsellor?

Mind you, in 1983 a German general was forced to resign over allegations of him being homosexual (though general consensus at the time was that there was no connection between being gay and being a security risk).
Little Syt, 6 or 7 at the time, asked his mom what "homosexual" meant.
"When boys sleep with boys."
"You mean in the same room, like at summer camp?"
"No, in the same bed."
"I wouldn't want that. I like my bed for myself."  :mad:

:blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2009, 06:31:18 AM
"I wouldn't want that. I like my bed for myself."  :mad:

So at least in this respect, much hasn't changed, has there?

*zing* :P