At least 7 dead, 20 wounded in Fort Hood shooting

Started by Kleves, November 05, 2009, 04:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2009, 09:55:44 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2009, 09:35:09 AM
:lol:

Sorry cal, even you are capable of discussing something without forcibly trying to relate it to boobs, no matter the subject.
Sorry, I promise to try harder.  :Embarrass:
Right there...word "boobs" written and you add nothing. You are the fail.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 05, 2009, 07:21:42 PM
Soldier Readiness Center or "SRC" refers to a place where soldiers process themselves for deployment, i.e. filling out personnel paperwork, making sure wills are filed, and basic medical examinations. I suspect this gym was re-arranged to support a battalion or two at a time for this purpose. We had a similar facility at Fort Stewart; an old gym became the "soldier readiness center", used simply for processing us to go to the fight. Coming back from Iraq, we went through the same facility.
Ah.  Not the sort of dimwitted thing the Navy tried in the early 1980s, then.

QuoteYou are broadly correct, though. The Army does have a habit of changing language to suit its needs. The words 'Soldier' and 'Family' are capitalized in any official army document, for instance.
I have always loved to laugh at pretentious punctuation, but that isn't as bad as PC names like the Navy had (Enlisted Dining Facility" for mess decks, for instance).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2009, 09:44:01 AM

My conversation went something like this:

"Mom, what is a homosexual?"
"Shh, don't say that word.  Those are very, very bad people."

When I was a kid, I was eating dinner in a restaurant with my family and pontificating on the ickiness of girls when I proclaimed, "I hope I turn out to be gay." My father sternly said, don't say that, which prompted me to start yelling "I don't like girls and want to be gay!"
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 06, 2009, 10:06:11 AM
When I was a kid, I was eating dinner in a restaurant with my family and pontificating on the ickiness of girls when I proclaimed, "I hope I turn out to be gay." My father sternly said, don't say that, which prompted me to start yelling "I don't like girls and want to be gay!"
If only someone had been there to teach you about anal lube. :(

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2009, 09:44:01 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2009, 06:31:18 AM
How does "Don't ask, don't tell" work with counselling, anyways? Are lesbian/gay/bi soldiers allowed to talk about this when in session with a psychiatric or spiritual counsellor?

Mind you, in 1983 a German general was forced to resign over allegations of him being homosexual (though general consensus at the time was that there was no connection between being gay and being a security risk).
Little Syt, 6 or 7 at the time, asked his mom what "homosexual" meant.
"When boys sleep with boys."
"You mean in the same room, like at summer camp?"
"No, in the same bed."
"I wouldn't want that. I like my bed for myself."  :mad:

:blush:
My conversation went something like this:

"Mom, what is a homosexual?"
"Shh, don't say that word.  Those are very, very bad people."

My dad was pretty well entirely ignorant of homosexuality until he was an adult. My mom, who had numerous gay friends, eventually enlightened him. He was cool with it, just surprised.

My dad is - different.

For example, one of his collegues was undergoing a sex change - "he" got the hormone treatments, grew boobs, started wearing a dress, insisted on being called by "her" female name - and my dad did not notice for months.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

That's funny.  I recall numerous occasions where my dad would somehow manage to live through an epic bitching and put-down session, and then privately say to me later "son, the best advice I can give you about women is: BE GAY."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

stjaba

Back to the original topic of this thread...

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) -- Soldiers who witnessed the shooting rampage at Fort Hood that left 13 people dead reported that the gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar!" - an Arabic phrase for "God is great!" - before opening fire, the base commander said Friday.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FORT_HOOD_SHOOTING?SITE=TXDAM&TEMPLATE=HOME.html&SECTION=HOME

DGuller

Quote from: stjaba on November 06, 2009, 10:17:04 AM
Back to the original topic of this thread...

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) -- Soldiers who witnessed the shooting rampage at Fort Hood that left 13 people dead reported that the gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar!" - an Arabic phrase for "God is great!" - before opening fire, the base commander said Friday.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FORT_HOOD_SHOOTING?SITE=TXDAM&TEMPLATE=HOME.html&SECTION=HOME
Hmm, I'm starting to suspect that it may have been an act of Muslim terror.

Admiral Yi

I wonder how the dude got his hands on a weapon.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 05, 2009, 08:57:41 PM
The AF is big on this "warrior" thing too.  Alas.

Not surprising that as the missions delegated to the armed forces expand to things other than fighting wars that more rhetorical emphasis is put on "warrior"-ness.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

When I was in my "girls are icky" phase I declared that if I ever got married it would be to my sister.   :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2009, 10:30:48 AM
I wonder how the dude got his hands on a weapon.

Probably from Ft. Hood.  I think they have lots of weapons there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2009, 10:38:45 AM
Yeah, just lying in a big pile in the rec room.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2009, 10:41:17 AM
Yeah, just lying in a big pile in the rec room.

Warrior Readiness Center. Duh.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gbeagle

I thought on base generally only the MPs carried weapons, and the rest were all locked up? I might be wrong though.