News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

V

Started by viper37, November 05, 2009, 10:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Hey, let those of us too young to remember the first one enjoy it.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Strix

I will wait to see to pass judgment but it makes sense to me to speed up the plot. The original V was the original V. No one knew what was going to happen next, especially without the internet and spoilers that abound nowadays. However, now everyone pretty much knows the surprises that were in the original V unless they never get on the internet or never watched the original or happened to miss any of the original episodes televised on ScyFy all weekend, etc, and so on. I think the producers had the choice of speeding up the original plot to get past what everyone knows is coming and  moving ahead OR they could drag along working their way past the original plot and risk people feeling that the show was taking too long to get to new and interesting things.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Viking on November 05, 2009, 10:58:40 AM
I miss her hair from Firefly though.

This.

I thought the show was good and I'll keep it scheduled on the DVR. Also: Poor Alan Tudyk. What does a guy have to do to catch a break.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Quote from: Faeelin on November 05, 2009, 10:35:56 AM
I heard they're here for our water. Is that still true?
officially, it's water and minerals.  Their unofficial plan has yet to be reavealed.  Given they are still lizzards, I suppose humans will still serve as a food source :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on November 05, 2009, 11:09:19 AM
Watched part of it - I hear it's just a remake, not a reboot - it felt rehashed.  Meh.
Do you consider BSG to be a reboot or a remake?  Because the difference is very thin.
Looking at BSG wich I know you liked, there were a lot of similarities betweens the new one and the old one.  Yet, it was different.

So, we only got one hour, but there's already some differences there.  Is that a remake or a 'full' reboot?  I don't know yet.  It's different for sure, and i don't just mean the new special effects.  At times it's the same (son of the main hero goes to join the alien in their Fascist Youth movement; 5th column of aliens), at other times it's not (alien sleeper cells, aliens infiltrating religion&politics, etc, etc).

I'm making a wild guess here, but I think you should take a closer look as, imho, it will be as good as BSG was (in the first 2 years at least ;) ).

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Strix on November 05, 2009, 11:55:05 AM
DVR'd it. Will watch this weekend. It can't be worse than most of the other junk that's put out lately. Hopefully Marc Singer's character isn't played by a woman like Starbuck.  :lol:
Oh dear.
You only need to look at the trailer for the answer :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Faeelin on November 05, 2009, 11:00:13 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 05, 2009, 10:49:17 AM
Yes, that's what they say they're after.

Alright, if aliens ever come to the bottom of an inhabited gravity well to seek water, we really should learn to arm the nukes and prepare to fire.

Probably wouldn't need to.  The type of Aliens that invade Earth for water are the same type that would all die because their technology is compatible with apple.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DisturbedPervert

Thought it was pretty bad, but really wasn't expecting anything else.  Would like to see the original now though.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 05, 2009, 02:20:29 PM
Thought it was pretty bad, but really wasn't expecting anything else.  Would like to see the original now though.

SyFy :bleeding: has been running it non-stop.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on November 05, 2009, 10:48:44 AM
Quote from: Viking on November 05, 2009, 10:46:39 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on November 05, 2009, 10:35:56 AM
I heard they're here for our water. Is that still true?

I don't care, I'm after their Monica Baccarin, that is still true.

There is something very wrong with that woman's head.

And I mean beyond it being a mask for a lizard.

WTF? you are a queer man Berkut
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Kleves

Quote from: katmai on November 05, 2009, 05:57:46 PM
QFT.

Also did anyone else notice that the V's public plans sounded remarkably like Obama's?  :shifty:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

katmai

Quote from: Kleves on November 05, 2009, 06:07:50 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 05, 2009, 05:57:46 PM
QFT.

Also did anyone else notice that the V's public plans sounded remarkably like Obama's?  :shifty:

HOPE!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Waiting on Hulu or Fancast or one of the other "digital networks" to pick it up.  I don't have a DVR, so given past experiences with remakes, it lost out to NCIS. :P
Experience bij!