News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

V

Started by viper37, November 05, 2009, 10:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

So, anyone watched it?  What do you think?
I think it shows promises :)
So far, so good.

Minor spoiler:
Contrary to the original series, we learn that the aliens have been on Earth for a while already, infiltrating various segments of the society, and preparing terrorist sleeper cells.[/]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

No, I haven't seen it yet. Heard about it. I guess the aliens came to Earth "to serve man"?  :unsure:

It's a cookbook!!!!   :o :o :o

Eddie Teach

I enjoyed it, will watch next week.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

I watched it - I was surprised at how much was revealed in the first hour of the show though - it felt very rushed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

I heard they're here for our water. Is that still true?

Viking

Quote from: Faeelin on November 05, 2009, 10:35:56 AM

I don't care, I'm after their Monica Baccarin, that is still true.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

Quote from: Viking on November 05, 2009, 10:46:39 AM

There is something very wrong with that woman's head.

And I mean beyond it being a mask for a lizard.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Yes, that's what they say they're after.

Berkut- it's the hair that's way too short.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Needs more 80's hair.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on November 05, 2009, 10:48:44 AM
Quote from: Viking on November 05, 2009, 10:46:39 AM

There is something very wrong with that woman's head.

And I mean beyond it being a mask for a lizard.

Anime becomes reality. I miss her hair from Firefly though.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Faeelin

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 05, 2009, 10:49:17 AM
Yes, that's what they say they're after.

Alright, if aliens ever come to the bottom of an inhabited gravity well to seek water, we really should learn to arm the nukes and prepare to fire.

Grallon

Watched part of it - I hear it's just a remake, not a reboot - it felt rehashed.  Meh.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Darth Wagtaros

Will have to wait for it to come on Hulu.  Damn networks are delaying things for digital release now. :(
PDH!

Strix

DVR'd it. Will watch this weekend. It can't be worse than most of the other junk that's put out lately. Hopefully Marc Singer's character isn't played by a woman like Starbuck.  :lol:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Grallon

A funny appraisal lifted from SyFy's Galactica forum of all places.  :P

G.
-----

QuoteV started out strong enough only to deliberately waste any potential gained from that good start. I'm surprised at the accelerated plot pacing that leaves nothing left to the imagination after the first forty minutes. What a cheap date.

The good guys are quickly defined up front. They all too quickly get on board the unexpected bandwagon of good. They will remain the good guys for however long this show lasts. The bad guys are needlessly exposed after a few commercial breaks. Network television so badly perpetually wants a sci-fi audience but remains fearful of anything that might alienate them. Ambiguity is okay for "real" dramas but forbidden for a genre like science fiction. I'm not sure what to think except they want to convert the Dances with Stars audience to science fiction instead of building on a core base of existing science fiction fans.

The first hour at least is absent any doubt, angst and gray dilemmas.

Instead:
Priest: Oh snap, there's something really fishy about these visitors. Just a hunch but don't be lemmings!

FBI Agent: I'm really smart so I only need a second of decision to abandon my life, my career and inevitably set myself up for tragic confrontations with my beloved but misguided son.

Conspiracy Nut: You must listen to my crazy conspiracy theory! Oh sure, I know what you all must be thinking...

Priest: No worries because look, I have convenient proof here!

Everyone: We're under attack. We're dying. Wow, these visitors are actually every bit as evil as you said.

FBI Agent: Good thing I can conveniently connects the dots for you. You know I wasn't sure about the other stuff, but there was no way I was ever going to buy that whole reptilian thing. Wow, my partner is a lizard in disguise just like you said.... seconds after you said it.

Everyone: No losing sleep on this one folks. We all know what we gotta do now just in time for the next episode.

FBI Agent: What a lonely path I must follow now. Who's gonna be my romantic lead anyway?

Priest: Hey there, wanna go sit by ourselves and talk?

Kid: And I'm sticking with my tragic gullibility routine. I'll annoy you before I make you cry.

This is all forgivable if the purpose is to dispense with the preliminaries of the Reveal. Because the twist gimmick about they've been among us for YEARS, a departure from the original storyline, is an Act I shortcut to accelerate that original storyline, nothing more. So the only originality thus far is a conceit to the audience's presumed ADD. That's the most significant revelation about V in its first hour. Maybe they want to devote the remainder of the limited run to a completely different tack. So maybe V is in a hurry to tell a good story further on, especially since the production has leaked internal indecision that threatens escalation to Bionic Woman proportions.

I'm still waiting for a network science fiction show that everyone concerned is confident about. So that show might go and do interesting things. Sadly, V is not that sea change. You have to bless the people who try in the meantime. I hope the remaining three hours improve.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel