Computer geeks, this is your time to shine.

Started by Eochaid, March 28, 2009, 08:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eochaid

Hi guys,

I've been having some problems with my computer... I seen unable to download anything!

Over the past few days I've been trying to update my Java & Flash player and after a few seconds I'm told that the file is corrupt.

It's does that to EVERYTHING I try to download.

All the downloads are legal, I've disabled my firewall, nothing. All the videos I try to watch have these huge pixels and all the flash stuff is blacked...

Any thoughts?

Kevin

PS: a lot of internet pages aren't displayed properly, with either fucked-up text replacing icons or all elements thrown together in one corner  :cry:
It's been a while

ehrie

Your hard drive is full. Take it out and grind down the data inside with a hammer. This will compress your files and thus give you more hard drive space.

Ed Anger

Virus scan that baby and run a malware scanner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eochaid

Quote from: ehrie on March 28, 2009, 08:52:09 AM
Your hard drive is full. Take it out and grind down the data inside with a hammer. This will compress your files and thus give you more hard drive space.

I have 2TBs of free space :)

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2009, 08:53:22 AM
Virus scan that baby and run a malware scanner.

Already did that. Neither Spyware Doctor nor AVG found anything.

Kevin
It's been a while

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Lucidor

Have you tried changing the download directory, so it's not some sort of restricted rights directory?

Lucidor

It may not be it, but at first my computer acted all funny on me, and it turned out to be a malfunctioning RAM. I've had some RAM fail two years after that and just got replacements.

If you feel adventurous, try taking out a stick of RAM at a time and see if it solves anything. (After disconnecting the power, that is)

Eochaid

The PC is brand new (less than a month old)

I'll try the directory thing

Kevin
It's been a while

Scipio

Quote from: Lucidor on March 28, 2009, 09:29:17 AM
It may not be it, but at first my computer acted all funny on me, and it turned out to be a malfunctioning RAM. I've had some RAM fail two years after that and just got replacements.

If you feel adventurous, try taking out a stick of RAM at a time and see if it solves anything. (After disconnecting the power, that is)
Good idea.

Bad RAM can multi-ficky-fick your puter hardcore.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eochaid

Let's pretend for a second that I know jack about this kind of shit...  :blush:

How would RAM affect the fact that I can't download shit?

I have 4GB of RAM (I can only use 3GB because I'm using XP).

Kevin

EDIT: instead of actually removing my RAM sticks, can I use Windows Memory Diagnostic?

It's been a while

Josquius

Defragging couldn't do any harm. May not solve it but worth a try, could be fragmented to hell?
██████
██████
██████

Eochaid

Quote from: Tyr on March 28, 2009, 03:18:34 PM
Defragging couldn't do any harm. May not solve it but worth a try, could be fragmented to hell?

My 2*1TB HDs are divided in 8*250 GB partitions (1 system, 1 docs, 2 games, 4 vids & assorted)

I don't see why a defrag would do anything...  :huh:

KEvin
It's been a while

Grey Fox

Power down, open the case, remove 1 stick of ram, power up, Download something, see if it works. Try the other stick if it is still not solve.

Data goes trhu your RAM before the HDD, if it gets corrupted in ram, won't work.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.