If no one hears from me again, tell my wife I love her...

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2009, 09:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on November 05, 2009, 11:32:09 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 05, 2009, 11:28:51 AM

The concept of alignment is bollocks, anyway. And if you're going to have it, all non-intelligent creatures shouldn't have one, or if they HAVE to have one, it should be True Neutral always.

Aren't all non-intelligent creatures true neutral?  Even skeletons and zombies; which are animated by evil energy, are true neutral.

Now that you mention it, you may be right. I don't have a monsters compendium at hand, though.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 05, 2009, 11:22:50 AM
How does a gelatinous cube drop loot when killed? WHY ARE THERE NO PRIZES IN MY JELLO?

Gelatinous cubes drop some of the most dangerous loot in the game, at least in AD&D 2nd edition, the +5 ICBM.  There is a percentile roll to see if the weapon detonates and then how long it takes to go to detonate.  This led to a typical crisis in the game known amongst AD&D fans as the "Cube and Missile Crisis".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2009, 11:48:30 AM
How does a gelatinous cube drop loot when killed? WHY ARE THERE NO PRIZES IN MY JELLO?

Gelatinous cubes drop some of the most dangerous loot in the game, at least in AD&D 2nd edition, the +5 ICBM.  There is a percentile roll to see if the weapon detonates and then how long it takes to go to detonate.  This led to a typical crisis in the game known amongst AD&D fans as the "Cube and Missile Crisis".

:XD:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

:lol: and :bleeding:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

The concept of alignment is bollocks, anyway.

Yeah, but it became so integral to the game it was hard to remove.  The 18 outer planes all had an alignment.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Savonarola on November 05, 2009, 11:21:32 AM
How is it that certain monsters have an "Always Such-Such" alignment.  Do they lack free will and have predestined actions which correspond to a certain alignment; or is it biological and they have special neutral-evil glands that produce hormones that reward altruistically evil behavior?

The concept of alignment is bollocks, anyway. And if you're going to have it, all non-intelligent creatures shouldn't have one, or if they HAVE to have one, it should be True Neutral always.
There's nothing wrong with the concept of alignment.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

:)

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on November 05, 2009, 01:39:43 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 05, 2009, 11:21:32 AM
How is it that certain monsters have an "Always Such-Such" alignment.  Do they lack free will and have predestined actions which correspond to a certain alignment; or is it biological and they have special neutral-evil glands that produce hormones that reward altruistically evil behavior?

There's nothing wrong with the concept of alignment.

And it bears in real life.  For example, Muslims are always chaotic evil.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2009, 10:04:16 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 09:58:13 PM
I assume Paul is in the slammer.

He went missing for several months, only to come back and say he had been extremely ill. Things were looking up, but given his susequent disapperance I fear the worst.

:( See, this is what I mean.  And for all we know, Hamilcar's dead too.  I guess I could check to see if he's published anything lately.

Edit: yeah, Hamilcar's just fine.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Korea

Quote from: Neil on November 05, 2009, 07:30:31 AM
Quote from: Korea on November 04, 2009, 11:07:27 PM
I love Dragons.  But I've never heard of these dragons before.
You should have played more Dungeons and Dragons then.

I always wanted to play but it seems like it would be really hard to get into  now.
I want my mother fucking points!

Malthus

Quote from: Korea on November 05, 2009, 05:01:02 PM
I always wanted to play but it seems like it would be really hard to get into  now.

The difficulty is finding a group of friends who all simultaneously happen to have the hours of free time necessary to play it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Neil on November 05, 2009, 07:30:31 AM
Quote from: Korea on November 04, 2009, 11:07:27 PM
I love Dragons.  But I've never heard of these dragons before.
You should have played more Dungeons and Dragons then.

Depends on what sort of people your friends are.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on November 05, 2009, 04:49:30 PM
And it bears in real life.  For example, Muslims are always chaotic evil.
Actually, it varies by group, but they follow a neutral evil god.

Korea

Quote from: Malthus on November 05, 2009, 05:03:26 PM

The difficulty is finding a group of friends who all simultaneously happen to have the hours of free time necessary to play it.

But there are so many rules and backstories. :(
I want my mother fucking points!

Neil

Quote from: Korea on November 05, 2009, 05:07:31 PM
But there are so many rules and backstories. :(
The rules are really rather simple, especially since you don't need to follow them all.  Same with backstories.   What you need is somebody to run the game who is good at telling stories.