Pa. high court tosses ‘kids for cash’ convictions. 6500 convictions dismissed.

Started by jimmy olsen, October 29, 2009, 09:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: DGuller on November 03, 2009, 06:01:33 PM
Quote from: dps on November 03, 2009, 05:44:01 PM
If that's the source of a problem, it's easy to fix, though.  Don't pay them per prisoner--just pay them a fixed amount each year to provide X number of cells. 
Yeah, but if not enough people got to prison, eventually the number of cells contracted for goes down.  Same incentives, just slightly less direct.

Well, as I noted, we don't exactly have the problem of having too many prison cells.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on November 03, 2009, 06:05:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 03, 2009, 06:01:33 PM
Quote from: dps on November 03, 2009, 05:44:01 PM
If that's the source of a problem, it's easy to fix, though.  Don't pay them per prisoner--just pay them a fixed amount each year to provide X number of cells. 
Yeah, but if not enough people got to prison, eventually the number of cells contracted for goes down.  Same incentives, just slightly less direct.

Well, as I noted, we don't exactly have the problem of having too many prison cells.

From the article I assumed that prisoners are directed to prisons located in the court district they were sentenced, more or less. Is the over-crowding of non-federal prison a problem that exists in every single court district in America?

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on November 03, 2009, 10:16:00 AM
the problem is you are ignoring countering incentives that mitigate against this happening, of course.

I still think that Cambyses had the best "incentive" - upholstery.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2009, 06:18:10 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 02, 2009, 04:45:41 PM
The benefits of a classical education:

Personal foul, unnecessary Die Hard reference, 15 yards.  Repeat the post.
The Commish says that no Die Hard reference is unnecessary.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Hey, sorry to bother you like this, but I was on the way to Korea, and my boat had a flat tire, so I kind of need an inner tube.
Experience bij!

Berkut

Still waiting for Marty to provide the data showing how corruption is rampant in the US due to this inevitable and incontestable adverse incentives.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Scipio

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 03, 2009, 06:15:30 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2009, 03:38:39 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2009, 09:02:22 AM
But again, how is this indicative of some kind of flaw in the system of using private juvenile detention facilities? Maybe it is - maybe this is the inevitable result of such a system - but I have seen no data to suggest that is the case.

One doesn't really need statistical data to expect that the system will be flawed - it's human nature.  :huh:

Indeed.  What use is evidence or research when we have gut emotion!
You just need to listen to your body.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

dps

Quote from: Scipio on November 04, 2009, 09:39:57 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 03, 2009, 06:15:30 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2009, 03:38:39 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2009, 09:02:22 AM
But again, how is this indicative of some kind of flaw in the system of using private juvenile detention facilities? Maybe it is - maybe this is the inevitable result of such a system - but I have seen no data to suggest that is the case.

One doesn't really need statistical data to expect that the system will be flawed - it's human nature.  :huh:

Indeed.  What use is evidence or research when we have gut emotion!
You just need to listen to your body.

So Marty = Meri?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2009, 09:54:57 AM
What I am saying is what Alatriste already said so there is no point in repeating that - the system in which a private businessman is running a prison facility and earns money based on the number of inmates he has inside incentivises responses that are incompatible with the alleged goals of the justice and penitentiary systems.
\

But how do you go from that to the conclusion that judicial corruption is inevitable or likely as a result?  After all, judges routinely make rulings in private disputes involving vast sums of money, and sometimes even involving repeat players.  The incentives for suborning corruption are always present.  Yet actual instances of such corruption are rare.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 04, 2009, 04:47:40 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2009, 09:54:57 AM
What I am saying is what Alatriste already said so there is no point in repeating that - the system in which a private businessman is running a prison facility and earns money based on the number of inmates he has inside incentivises responses that are incompatible with the alleged goals of the justice and penitentiary systems.
\

But how do you go from that to the conclusion that judicial corruption is inevitable or likely as a result?  After all, judges routinely make rulings in private disputes involving vast sums of money, and sometimes even involving repeat players.  The incentives for suborning corruption are always present.  Yet actual instances of such corruption are rare.

Well, actual instances of judges being caught at it are rare, at least.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius