Pa. high court tosses ‘kids for cash’ convictions. 6500 convictions dismissed.

Started by jimmy olsen, October 29, 2009, 09:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The benefits of a classical education:

Quote from: Herodotus
He left as general of all the troops upon the sea-coast Otanes, son of Sisamnes, whose father King Cambyses slew and flayed, because that he, being of the number of the royal judges, had taken money to give an unrighteous sentence. Therefore Cambyses slew and flayed Sisamnes, and cutting his skin into strips, stretched them across the seat of the throne whereon he had been wont to sit when he heard causes. Having so done Cambyses appointed the son of Sisamnes to be judge in his father's room, and bade him never forget in what way his seat was cushioned.

I'm guessing this would be a trifle unconstitutional. pity.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on November 02, 2009, 04:45:41 PM

Quote from: Herodotus
He left as general of all the troops upon the sea-coast Otanes, son of Sisamnes, whose father King Cambyses slew and flayed, because that he, being of the number of the royal judges, had taken money to give an unrighteous sentence. Therefore Cambyses slew and flayed Sisamnes, and cutting his skin into strips, stretched them across the seat of the throne whereon he had been wont to sit when he heard causes. Having so done Cambyses appointed the son of Sisamnes to be judge in his father's room, and bade him never forget in what way his seat was cushioned.

I'm guessing this would be a trifle unconstitutional. pity.  :(

Not to mention probably unsanitary.

Maximus

It's not cruel if they're already dead, and not unusual if you do it frequently.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on November 02, 2009, 04:49:49 PM
It's not cruel if they're already dead, and not unusual if you do it frequently.

I'd support this - as both punishment and as cost-saving idea. 

"It is true we have private prisions - but you should see the court furniture. Such comfortable leather ... ".  :D

CountDeMoney

Personal foul, unnecessary Die Hard reference, 15 yards.  Repeat the post.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2009, 06:18:10 PM

Believe it or not, the phrase predates Die Hard:D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on November 02, 2009, 06:56:30 PM

Link, plz.  And make it a link cooler than Hans Fucking Gruber.

Malthus

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2009, 06:57:48 PM

Link, plz.

I'm not sure that there's much 18th century literature available online. 

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on November 02, 2009, 11:21:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2009, 06:57:48 PM

Link, plz.

I'm not sure that there's much 18th century literature available online.

Project Guttenberg has tons of shit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I know Missouri can't use private facilities anymore after a number of inmates died or something.  Apperently the liability still rests with the state and the state got sued.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2009, 09:02:22 AM
But again, how is this indicative of some kind of flaw in the system of using private juvenile detention facilities? Maybe it is - maybe this is the inevitable result of such a system - but I have seen no data to suggest that is the case.

One doesn't really need statistical data to expect that the system will be flawed - it's human nature.  :huh:

Camerus

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2009, 03:38:39 AM
But again, how is this indicative of some kind of flaw in the system of using private juvenile detention facilities? Maybe it is - maybe this is the inevitable result of such a system - but I have seen no data to suggest that is the case.

One doesn't really need statistical data to expect that the system will be flawed - it's human nature.  :huh:

Indeed.  What use is evidence or research when we have gut emotion!

Martinus

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on November 03, 2009, 06:15:30 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2009, 03:38:39 AM

Indeed.  What use is evidence or research when we have gut emotion!

It's hardly gut emotion - it's the knowledge of human psychology. If you incentivise fucked up behaviour you should expect to get it.