Main Menu

Bubba Clinton gets huge statue erected

Started by The Larch, November 03, 2009, 06:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Gettit? Gettit? Erected. *giggles*

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8336789.stm

QuoteKosovo unveils Clinton's statue

Former US President Bill Clinton has attended the unveiling of a statue of himself in Kosovo's capital Pristina.

The 3.5m (11 ft) bronze statue was inaugurated at Bill Clinton Boulevard - to loud cheers of thousands of ethnic Albanians.

Many of them regard Mr Clinton as a hero for launching Nato's air bombing campaign to drive Yugoslavia's troops out of the Serbian province in 1999.

Kosovo unilaterally declared independence from Belgrade last year.

The move was supported by the US and many Western powers, but a number of countries - including China and Russia - still regard Kosovo as part of Serbia.

'Big statue'

Mr Clinton waved to the crowds as the red cover was pulled off from the statue on Sunday.

map

"I never expected that anywhere, someone would make such a big statue of me," Mr Clinton was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.

The statue portrays the former president with his left arm raised while holding documents bearing the date when Nato started its air campaign against Yugoslavia - 24 March 1999.

At the time Yugoslav forces of the late President Slobodan Milosevic were attempting to suppress an ethnic Albanian insurgency in Kosovo.

The 78-day bombing forced the Yugoslav army to leave, placing Kosovo under UN administration.

But Mr Clinton's statue is unlikely to be revered by the Serbs who see Washington as the driving force behind a plan to tear away Serbia's cherished southern province, the BBC's Mark Lowen in Belgrade says.

I like the effect of the cookie advertisement in the background.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on November 03, 2009, 06:30:37 AM
I like the effect of the cookie advertisement in the background.  :lol:

Totally classic.
Only thing more appropriate would've been golden arches off in the distance.

CountDeMoney

Quotebut a number of countries - including China and Russia - still regard Kosovo as part of Serbia.

Shock of shockers.

Caliga

My heart is warmed by Nazi Clinton statue.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alexandru H.

Josquius

I still refuse to recognise Kosovo until they get themselves a proper flag :angry:
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Jaron

This statue will become to Democrats with Mecca is Mohammedians.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on November 03, 2009, 09:40:11 AM

A pilgrimage to Kosovo?  At least it is convenient from some Mediterranean vacation spots.

There will be pillars of Republicans they will throw stones at.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Kaeso

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2009, 10:15:26 AM
Quote from: Jaron on November 03, 2009, 09:40:11 AM

A pilgrimage to Kosovo?  At least it is convenient from some Mediterranean vacation spots.

The roads to reach the coast are awful...

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 03, 2009, 06:38:50 AM
Quotebut a number of countries - including China and Russia - still regard Kosovo as part of Serbia.

Shock of shockers.

We have problems with a doctor in Serbia. He has his bank account in Bosnia and we told him to get one in Serbia instead. He raises all kinds of hell about it. Our country manager in Serbia (a jovial, friendly dude normally) said, "Well, this doctor is a bit of a problem, he has his account in a part of Bosnia that used to be Serbia and that some of the more conservatives don't want to let go, really."

Me: "Like Croatia, Slovenia, ...?"

He hasn't spoken to me since last week. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

How fitting to have the statue erection, considering what gave rise to the Kosovo intervention in the first place.