News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is FOX News really that bad?

Started by Syt, October 30, 2009, 11:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

In case you're interested, here's a small adition for the health care debate regarding prices for new drugs.

A local pharma company has just received approval from the corresponding EU agency for a new drug they've developed, and they've already started negotiations to place it in the European market. The news say that it'll soon-ish be available in the UK, Austria, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway, as drug price is set by the company alone in those countries, while they'll have to negotiate the price of the drug with the rest of the EU countries' health systems.

Neil

And if France wants it, they'll vacate the patent and generics will flood the market.  Drug companies can't afford to get too cute.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

FOX does ok with its news reporting. Have to separate the news from the opinion shows. But the Obama admin is trying to stifle one of the larger media outlets that are willing to be critical, no surprise. But it's backfiring on the administration, except among those who support them no matter what.

So a big part of this is the political wars, and the games and jockeying that go with it. MSNBC is very left, but gets no mention by the Obama admin, of course. FOX is right wing and more likely to look critically at the Obama admin, which is what the media should do anyway to the political process. Pres Bush got lambasted for years by the media, lots of nasty stuff, and it wasn't just about holding him accountable. Now the Obama admin is whining over FOX? Get over it - I'm glad that at least one channel is looking things more critically, and I think CNN is also, to some extent, for the cable news shows. Otherwise, there's a wide range of politically left and right oriented newspapers/media/magazines across the country, with many of the most influential news papers being left, I think. It's just dumb how FOX gets the attention; just more whining by the Obama admin. The Obama admin has been targeting FOX news, and that isn't working out so well for them. They tried to exclude FOX from White House briefings with the pay czar but all the other news orgs refused to go along with that. And in the meantime FOX's ratings are rising.

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on November 02, 2009, 12:45:54 PM
FOX does ok with its news reporting. Have to separate the news from the opinion shows. But the Obama admin is trying to stifle one of the larger media outlets that are willing to be critical, no surprise.

How are they "stifling" Fox?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Fox and MSNBC are total garbage.

CNN is merely garbage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2009, 03:20:37 PM
FOX does ok with its news reporting. Have to separate the news from the opinion shows. But the Obama admin is trying to stifle one of the larger media outlets that are willing to be critical, no surprise.

They've been on a tear, Axelrod and other admin officials, talking down on FOX. On Sunday talk shows, etc. As I said, they also tried to deny FOX interviews as part of the Washington press pool rotation, but all the other media outlets said no, that if FOX was denied then they wouldn't take part either. Good for the media for once, since I think they realized that next it could be them, under this admin or the next admin in the future.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: KRonn on November 02, 2009, 03:43:19 PM
They've been on a tear, Axelrod and other admin officials, talking down on FOX. On Sunday talk shows, etc. As I said, they also tried to deny FOX interviews as part of the Washington press pool rotation, but all the other media outlets said no, that if FOX was denied then they wouldn't take part either. Good for the media for once, since I think they realized that next it could be them, under this admin or the next admin in the future.
An overreach by the Obama admin, sure, but it doesn't exactly make Fox the pinnacle of journalistic integrity.  The Obama camp was probably trying to give them a slap for the disingenuous "editorial" claptrap they tack onto every piece they cover.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Oh I thought they were actually doing something to warrant the word "Stifle".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DontSayBanana

A thought: if anybody should be smacking down FOX, it should be the other news providers, since FOX has done so much to cheapen the brand of press credentials.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 02, 2009, 09:39:35 PM
A thought: if anybody should be smacking down FOX, it should be the other news providers, since FOX has done so much to cheapen the brand of press credentials.
Don't be silly.  They've all cheapened the press.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 02, 2009, 09:39:35 PM

It is indeed tragic to see the damage they've done to the noble profession of such luminaries as Dan Rather and Katie Couric.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2009, 09:05:32 PM

You don't think refusing to grant interviews warrants the word?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Not really.  If that was the case every president would be stifling the press since they aren't granting interviews everytime any news agency asks for one.

Fate

Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2009, 10:51:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2009, 09:05:32 PM

You don't think refusing to grant interviews warrants the word?
That'd be impossible, as Fox News doesn't conduct interviews. However, they do great infotainment sessions.

citizen k

Quote from: Fate on November 02, 2009, 11:34:14 PM
That'd be impossible, as Fox News doesn't conduct interviews. However, they do great infotainment sessions.

Indeed.