And we're back!

Main Menu

Is FOX News really that bad?

Started by Syt, October 30, 2009, 11:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2009, 12:11:06 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 31, 2009, 08:02:40 AM
Even supposing that were true, it's better to have affordable mass produced medicines than bleeding edge research that only the rich can benefit from.
How do we get those affordable mass produced medicines?  Someone somewhere has to pay for the R&D and testing.  As Hans mentioned this includes the drugs that are unsuccesful, never used.  Right now the someone is US customers (generally) during the patent period.
On the other hand, if the US government decides to legislate price caps for drugs, what options do the pharmaceuticals have?  They lack the ability to just take their ball and go home.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on October 31, 2009, 10:11:43 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 31, 2009, 10:06:48 AM
If I had my old bills from '06 handy, it would throw several people on this forum into shock.
Not I, i recall how much my dad's bills were from his minor heart attack in '03 even with his medical insurance covering 80%
:lol:

Yeah, my old man had a major heart attack and the next year the another catastrophic illness.  The medical bills were insane even with good insurance.  Almost lost the house.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Those financial records open or are we just assuming?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on October 31, 2009, 12:17:26 PM
On the other hand, if the US government decides to legislate price caps for drugs, what options do the pharmaceuticals have?  They lack the ability to just take their ball and go home.
That's exactly the ability they have.  Stop researching new drugs.  What person in his right mind would pour a couple hundred million into developing a new drug if it could be legally copied the second it hit the shelves?

Eddie Teach

"If America doesn't do it, who will?" I think we should start calling that bluff.

Besides, it's not like easily copied pharmaceuticals will help us win any wars.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

Yi, governments have doing that for ages.

And while they have their disadvantages they have at least four advantages:
1) A good deal of the money is not spent on cures for baldness or impotence.
2) Minimal marketing costs.
3) Avoids the inefficient practice of tweaking existing drugs with patents about to expire.
4) Opens up avenues of research that are simply not profitable for private business (yet are extremely profitable for society).

If you want to lower drug costs on the US you have to put on price caps, as simple as that. Caps on brib ... err, marketing, are advisable as well. And stop granting patents to the same drug with mere facelifts.

I Killed Kenny

Quote from: JacobL on October 31, 2009, 11:59:14 AM
The drugs my mom used to try and stop her brain cancer cost 3500 for 1 weeks supply.

ridiculous

Syt

A huge cost factor in clinical R&D is paying doctors with "useful patients" substantial honoraries for participating in clinical studies with their patients.

Or so I've heard. :whistle:

OTOH you have no idea how much it costs (fees, toll, etc.) to get non-approved drugs into former USSR.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on October 31, 2009, 01:28:19 PM
Yi, governments have doing that for ages.

And while they have their disadvantages they have at least four advantages:
1) A good deal of the money is not spent on cures for baldness or impotence.
2) Minimal marketing costs.
3) Avoids the inefficient practice of tweaking existing drugs with patents about to expire.
4) Opens up avenues of research that are simply not profitable for private business (yet are extremely profitable for society).

If you want to lower drug costs on the US you have to put on price caps, as simple as that. Caps on brib ... err, marketing, are advisable as well. And stop granting patents to the same drug with mere facelifts.
Publicly funded R&D is a reasonable alternative to privately funded (although off the top of my head I'm hard pressed to come up with an example of drugs developed by the government).  My main beef is with is with people who think we can eliminate the market incentives for private R&D and not replace it with anything else.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2009, 12:52:51 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 31, 2009, 12:17:26 PM
That's exactly the ability they have.  Stop researching new drugs.  What person in his right mind would pour a couple hundred million into developing a new drug if it could be legally copied the second it hit the shelves?
Who are you arguing with, exactly?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on October 31, 2009, 01:58:37 PM
You, for one.  Although I erred in responding to your suggestion for price caps with a defense of patents.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2009, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 31, 2009, 01:58:37 PM
You, for one.  Although I erred in responding to your suggestion for price caps with a defense of patents.
Eliminating patents on drugs isn't very likely.  It should only be considered as an 'ultimate weapon', should drug companies attempt to take actions that the government doesn't like.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 30, 2009, 01:41:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2009, 12:00:38 PM
http://people-press.org/report/319/public-knowledge-of-current-affairs-little-changed-by-news-and-information-revolutions

I got 11 out of 12 on their quiz.  Kinda surprised.

I don't like the choices offered on the Dow and unemployment questions.  The exact number on those is so close to the midpoint between their choices that its a crapshoot as to what the "correct" answer is.

Fate

Fox News is an excellent form of entertainment for bitter, old white people.

Winkelried

Quote from: Fate on October 31, 2009, 06:19:58 PM
Fox News is an excellent form of entertainment for bitter, old white people.

Especially the kind that clings to their guns and bibles.