And we're back!

Main Menu

Google Wave

Started by Brazen, October 30, 2009, 10:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Anyone waving? Want to wave with me?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Get me a damned invite & I will. 

Though I'm still not 100% sure what Wave is supposed to be.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

BTW Brazen, I downloaded Google Voice for my HTC Hero the other day & set it up to handle all my outgoing international calls (not that I make many on my cellphone, but it's nice to have the convenience). 

Came in handy when my cable internet connection died last night & we couldn't call out through our regular phones since they are VOIP through said connection.  Wife needed to call home to Argentina to talk about gauchos or llamas or whatever they jibber-jabber about, so I had her call from my Hero.  Since Google Voice was set in the dialer as the default for outgoing international calls, all she had to do was dial the number-- it routed through my cellphone carrier's data network as a VOIP call & the call quality was surprisingly good.  The cost was $.03 per minute, which is a very small price to pay for being able to make international calls from my cellphone :)

So anyway, my experiences with Google Voice so far: :thumbsup:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Do you have an extra invite, Brazen?

Josquius

What is it for?
Its...a new take on IM?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2009, 06:44:43 AM
What is it for?
Its...a new take on IM?

From what I read it's a realtime mix between IM, forum posting, email.

Hence it will be totally useless in the work environment where many people are unable to even organize their incoming files accordingly.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

This is the thing I've heard of where you see what people are typing as they type it rather than when they press send?
When I heard of that it sounded....scary.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2009, 06:50:45 AM
This is the thing I've heard of where you see what people are typing as they type it rather than when they press send?

I'm guessing that will be: optional.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Lucidor

Why would anyone want that? Things you write will be even more less-thought through than it is now.

Josquius

Quote from: Lucidor on October 31, 2009, 08:05:20 AM
Why would anyone want that? Things you write will be even more less-thought through than it is now.

I wouldn't want it either.
The idea though is it makes it more like a natural conversation than having to wait for the other person to press enter and the annoyance of seeing 'xxx is typing' and all that.
██████
██████
██████

Lucidor

Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2009, 02:12:29 PM
Quote from: Lucidor on October 31, 2009, 08:05:20 AM

I wouldn't want it either.
The idea though is it makes it more like a natural conversation than having to wait for the other person to press enter and the annoyance of seeing 'xxx is typing' and all that.
That's what phones and VOIP stuff is for. People want their time to think.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

ICQ did that over 10 years ago.

Didn't seem to get very far then. :P

Jaron

The only thing that looked cool was the real time translation.

The other stuff is just old ideas rehashed.
Winner of THE grumbler point.