Golden Girl leaves $300k to a homeless gay youths centre

Started by Martinus, October 29, 2009, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 12:31:15 PM
Or are you questioning a need for having a shelter for gay youth?

I don't think he is questioning the need for having shelter for gays of any age.  He only was curious whether an organization devoted to the homeless in general is not sufficient.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on October 29, 2009, 12:14:07 PM
Why give them special treatment.

Because a lot of these centers are run by religious organisations who are hostile to gay people, and will likely send a message to these kids that it is wrong to be gay, resulting in the gay kids either resenting the center (even if they are not kicked out of it outright) or having to resent themselves.

Even those that do not openly preach anti-gay hate, are not prepared to deal with particular issues related to gay youths in situations like this. There is a reason why suicide rates are so high among gay youths - having to deal with rejection, the stress of coming out, self-hatred etc. can be quite difficult and you need specially trained people to address - it is quite different to situations when a kid just runs away from home because the father is an alcoholic.

Not to mention heterosexual kids who usually end up in centres for homeless youths are not exactly among the most gay-friendly and tolerant people - gay and (even more) transgender kids ending up in such places could meet with abuse or even violence.

It's amazing how oblivious you heteros are to the number of special dangers and problems coming-of-age GLBT people are facing.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2009, 12:33:21 PM

I don't think he is questioning the need for having shelter for gays of any age.  He only was curious whether an organization devoted to the homeless in general is not sufficient.

Well then I already answered that concern, I think. And the guy from the centre answers that in the article as well. I answered the second objection ("why have youth centers specifically for gay people") in my response to Tyr.

Do you agree or disagree with my points?

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2009, 11:38:54 AM
Not that I begrudge Bea Arthur's generosity, far from it - but why the need for a gay youth shelter?  Why not just a youth shelter - or even just a shelter?

Because noone gives to causes like this. Everyone gives to the mainstream causes, and hardly anyone to causes that are more controversial.

I actually doubt that.  A gay youth shelter is far more trendy and probably gets much more support than a shelter for more typical homeless people (i.e. smelly old drunks).

I was wondering why not have just a youth homeless shelter.  Why turn away straight kids?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2009, 12:41:01 PM
I was wondering why not have just a youth homeless shelter.  Why turn away straight kids?

See my post in response to Tyr.

As to why not approach it from the different side (i.e. have a centre run by the same people, and preparing to deal with special issues of GLBT youths, but open to non-GLBT youths), I doubt this centre would turn away a non-GLBT youth willing to find shelter there. But I also doubt that such youths would be willing to go to the "queer" centre.

Essentially, centres like this advertise as centres for "GLBT youths" to let GLBT youths know they will be welcome there and that they will be prepared to address special psychological needs of such kids - not that they are offlimits to the hetero youths.

Satisfied?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2009, 12:41:01 PM

I actually doubt that.  A gay youth shelter is far more trendy and probably gets much more support than a shelter for more typical homeless people (i.e. smelly old drunks).

I bet it has an awesome sound system and interior design.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 12:36:39 PM

I have no particular opinion I was just clarifying what BB's issue was.

It is a charity.  I tend to not quible over details if they want to help a particular group.  Every gay person this group helps means there is one less person for other charities/public agencies to help and that is a good thing.

The whole existance of separate gay organizations and culture does fill me with a bit of shame and embarrasment but it is not the gays fault they have to have them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2009, 12:33:21 PM

That might make sense if her donation was an infinite amount of money.  However she did not have such to give and gave 300,000 dollars. I think it would be better to target a small demographic of individuals with that as you can provide better quality support to a few, rather than the masses.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 12:34:56 PM
Not to mention heterosexual kids who usually end up in centres for homeless youths are not exactly among the most gay-friendly and tolerant people - gay and (even more) transgender kids ending up in such places could meet with abuse or even violence.
I had no idea.  My impression from all the kids on the streets movies I've seen was that all of them were sucking dick for money.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2009, 12:44:13 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 12:36:39 PM

I have no particular opinion I was just clarifying what BB's issue was.

It is a charity.  I tend to not quible over details if they want to help a particular group.  Every gay person this group helps means there is one less person for other charities/public agencies to help and that is a good thing.

The whole existance of separate gay organizations and culture does fill me with a bit of shame and embarrasment but it is not the gays fault they have to have them.

As I said, I doubt this place is non-hetero-inclusive - I would be really surprised they'd turn away a hetero kid looking for help.

It's just that noone else is making an effort to reach out to GLBT kids specifically - who are not just suffering the trauma of being homeless, but also the trauma of their families, churches and (to a less extent under Obama) government telling them they are dirty, immoral and inferior because of who they are.

Do you really think an openly gay or a transgendered homeless kid would have an easy time in a "mainstream" youth centre?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 29, 2009, 12:46:16 PM
I think it would be better to target a small demographic of individuals with that as you can provide better quality support to a few, rather than the masses.

Almost every charity I have ever volunteered for tends to have specific targets anyway.  You just get overwhelmed when you start trying to help everybody.  I just recently spent a day working for this group that fixes up houses for elderly minority people in old East Austin.  That is pretty specific, nothing against young white people but logistically you simply have to have a narrow focus to be effective.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 12:47:48 PM
It's just that noone else is making an effort to reach out to GLBT kids specifically - who are not just suffering the trauma of being homeless, but also the trauma of their families, churches and (to a less extent under Obama) government telling them they are dirty, immoral and inferior because of who they are.

Do you really think an openly gay or a transgendered homeless kid would have an easy time in a "mainstream" youth centre?

Didn't I just say that?  I find the necessity of having separate gay institutions and society deeply shameful because it is a result of their ostracism. 

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 29, 2009, 12:46:36 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 12:34:56 PM
I had no idea.  My impression from all the kids on the streets movies I've seen was that all of them were sucking dick for money.
:rolleyes:

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2009, 12:50:15 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 12:47:48 PM

Didn't I just say that?  I find the necessity of having separate gay institutions and society deeply shameful because it is a result of their ostracism.

Ok, good. I was clarifying more for the others' benefit, tbh. :)

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2009, 12:48:51 PM
Almost every charity I have ever volunteered for tends to have specific targets anyway.  You just get overwhelmed when you start trying to help everybody.  I just recently spent a day working for this group that fixes up houses for elderly minority people in old East Austin.  That is pretty specific, nothing against young white people but logistically you simply have to have a narrow focus to be effective.
So then what's the issue? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.