Golden Girl leaves $300k to a homeless gay youths centre

Started by Martinus, October 29, 2009, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2009, 01:03:22 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 01:00:34 PM
I think this line of reasoning is pretty fallacious. Unless you actually believe that a GLBT youth centre is unnecessary, then you could essentially make this argument against any charitable donation - because you could always find a "more worthy cause".

Why give money to a shelter for homeless animals if you could give it to war veterans? Why given money to war veterans, if you could give them to children suffering from leukemia. And so on.

You're right, which is why I'm not making the argument that some other charity is "more worthy" than another.

I am only making the argument that we should not provide overly-specialized services and should try to keep them open to serve as many people as possible.

But "normal" youths centres are not prepared to deal with issues of queer kids - I don't have statistics handy but I believe queer kids tend to run away from such centres, because they meet with abuse and violence from non-queer kids (even in the absence of actually anti-gay message of the organization running the centre).

So the question is not whether to help both queer and non-queer kids in a non-queer centre vs. helping just queer kids in a queer centre; it's whether to help non-queer kids in a non-queer centre or queer kids in a queer centre - that's the counterfactual here.

While definitely there are more non-queer kids out there (though a percentage of queer homeless kids among homeless kids is definitely higher than the percentage of queers in the general populace), if we adopted your line of reasoning, noone would help queer kids at all and they would stay in the streets.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 01:04:28 PM
I didn't say they would turn him away - but he wouldn't get a "it's ok to be gay" message in ALL of them either, no?

Self-acceptance is a significant part of a healing process for any gay youth, especially one that has been kicked out of his home by parents who think being gay is a sin. Having to stay in a place run by an organization that considers it a sin to be gay as well is not going to be exactly helpful either.

Direct them to one of the many "its okay to be gay" services then.  I know they exist, and I'm not disparaging them in any way.

The issues of being homeless however are somewhat distinct from the issues of being gay.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2009, 01:16:09 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 01:04:28 PM
I didn't say they would turn him away - but he wouldn't get a "it's ok to be gay" message in ALL of them either, no?

Self-acceptance is a significant part of a healing process for any gay youth, especially one that has been kicked out of his home by parents who think being gay is a sin. Having to stay in a place run by an organization that considers it a sin to be gay as well is not going to be exactly helpful either.

Direct them to one of the many "its okay to be gay" services then.  I know they exist, and I'm not disparaging them in any way.

The issues of being homeless however are somewhat distinct from the issues of being gay.

Ok I guess it's a question of misunderstanding then - the centre we are talking about here is one of the "it's okay to be gay" centres. As I said, I'm willing to bet it wouldn't turn away non-gay youths.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 01:32:27 PM
Ok I guess it's a question of misunderstanding then - the centre we are talking about here is one of the "it's okay to be gay" centres. As I said, I'm willing to bet it wouldn't turn away non-gay youths.

Yeah, but I bet the non-gay kids would get harassed by the gay ones there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2009, 12:41:01 PM
I actually doubt that.  A gay youth shelter is far more trendy and probably gets much more support than a shelter for more typical homeless people (i.e. smelly old drunks).

I was wondering why not have just a youth homeless shelter.  Why turn away straight kids?

Gay kids are far, far more likely to be homeless, often after coming out (or being outed) to their parents. And they often have the psychological issues that come with that.

http://www.safeschoolscoalition.org/RG-homeless.html

http://gaylife.about.com/od/headlinesnewsstories/a/glbthomeless.htm

Barrister

Quote from: Faeelin on October 29, 2009, 06:11:41 PM
I actually doubt that.  A gay youth shelter is far more trendy and probably gets much more support than a shelter for more typical homeless people (i.e. smelly old drunks).

I was wondering why not have just a youth homeless shelter.  Why turn away straight kids?

Gay kids are far, far more likely to be homeless, often after coming out (or being outed) to their parents. And they often have the psychological issues that come with that.

I'm not disputing that in the slightest.

What I was questioning is whether it is a better strategy to build separate and distinct homeless shelters for distinct groups, or to make more broad-based homeless shelters.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2009, 06:28:44 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 29, 2009, 06:11:41 PM

I'm not disputing that in the slightest.

What I was questioning is whether it is a better strategy to build separate and distinct homeless shelters for distinct groups, or to make more broad-based homeless shelters.

In a more mainstream situation (like schools) I would share your view (simply because it is better to integrate than to segregate) but here we are talking about kids with significant traumatic experiences that require a special approach and that could be harmed by exposure to the "real world", with its homophobia etc.

We are not talking here about kids that got involved in juvenile crimes and ran away, or even kids from broken homes, but kids from "normal" homes, who came out (or were outed) and were kicked out by their "normal" parents and closest families for being "monsters", "perverts" and "abominations". They have different needs and different socio-psychological make-up. They don't require reintegration into the society as much as they require a nurturing and accepting environment.

Admiral Yi

Where do you get these generalizations on gay homeless kids from? :huh:

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 29, 2009, 07:20:22 PM
Where do you get these generalizations on gay homeless kids from? :huh:

What generalizations? I provided a couple of links discussing the topic; you have google.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on October 29, 2009, 07:26:22 PM
What generalizations? I provided a couple of links discussing the topic; you have google.
My post was meant for Marty.

Faeelin

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM