Golden Girl leaves $300k to a homeless gay youths centre

Started by Martinus, October 29, 2009, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote'Golden Girls' star Bea Arthur leaves $300,000 in will to NY group that helps gay homeless youths

NEWS STAFF

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 7:04 PM

Bea Arthur left $300,000 in her will to a New York organization that aids homeless gay youth.

The Ali Fornay Center provides services to more than 1,000 each year, and is planning to buy a building to house 12 young people - and name it in honor of the "Golden Girls" actress.

The head of the center said he is thrilled with the stage and television legend's generosity.

"We work with hundreds of young people who are rejected by their families because of who they are," said Executive Director Carl Siciliano.

"We are overwhelmed with gratitude that Bea saw that LGBT youth deserve as much love and support as any other young person, and that she placed so much value in the work we do to protect them, and to help them rebuild their lives," he said.

The Ali Forney Center offers emergency shelter and transitional housing in seven residential sites in New York.

It also operates two drop-in centers offering food, clothing, medical and mental health treatment, HIV testing, treatment and prevention services, and vocational and educational assistance.

Rest in peace, Maude.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/10/27/2009-10-27_golden_girls_star_bea_arthur_leaves_300000_in_will_.html?print=1&page=all

Valmy

It is so nice to see she is giving so much money to support Middle Eastern youth.

Not Lebanese, Blanche. Lesbian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2009, 11:02:37 AM
It is so nice to see she is giving so much money to support Middle Eastern youth.

Not Lebanese, Blanche. Lesbian.
:lol:

Brazen

I once killed a dinner party dead when the ex in-laws talked about a Lebanese couple who moved in next door and I said, "Ah, how nice to have women who love each other as neighbours"

Josquius

Sounds like a better time than ever to be gay if you're homeless.
Strange stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

I think this is very important for such centres to be active. GLBT social aid has been focusing on helping AIDS sufferers, which is all well and good, but I suppose that the most improvement/life saving can be done with kids like this especially who end up being kicked out of their homes for being gay and find themselves on the street, turning to prostitution, drug abuse, depression etc. This way they can be saved, rather than helped only after they have been hurt. :)

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 11:29:18 AM
I think this is very important for such centres to be active. GLBT social aid has been focusing on helping AIDS sufferers, which is all well and good, but I suppose that the most improvement/life saving can be done with kids like this especially who end up being kicked out of their homes for being gay and find themselves on the street, turning to prostitution, drug abuse, depression etc. This way they can be saved, rather than helped only after they have been hurt. :)

Especially since they, or so I have heard, will just leave their hometowns and go to a city like NYC or SF where the cost of living is sky high.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Not that I begrudge Bea Arthur's generosity, far from it - but why the need for a gay youth shelter?  Why not just a youth shelter - or even just a shelter?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2009, 11:38:54 AM
Not that I begrudge Bea Arthur's generosity, far from it - but why the need for a gay youth shelter?  Why not just a youth shelter - or even just a shelter?
A huge part of her fanbase was gay, and she was always very appreciative of their support and publicly supportive of gays even before it was 'cool' to love gays in Hollywood.  While I agree with you, this particular gift isn't surprising given all of that background.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DisturbedPervert

Josquius

My thoughts too.
Sure, a lot of the homeless youths will be there because they were gay and felt ostrasized in their shitty little rural communities but...so what?
Why give them special treatment.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Because noone gives to causes like this. Everyone gives to the mainstream causes, and hardly anyone to causes that are more controversial.

Or are you questioning a need for having a shelter for gay youth?