Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

Started by citizen k, October 29, 2009, 03:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 30, 2009, 02:43:57 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 30, 2009, 02:31:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2009, 02:11:23 PM
I'm afraid of bison in that they are huge, dark, and totally unafraid to stand in the middle of the highway.  However absent collissions with cars, and I've never heard of a bison being agressive with a person.

People get gored by bison in Yellowstone every year.  They cause more injuries than any other animal.

Damn Ex Vice Presidents.  :mad:
:bowler:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 30, 2009, 02:43:57 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 30, 2009, 02:31:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2009, 02:11:23 PM
I'm afraid of bison in that they are huge, dark, and totally unafraid to stand in the middle of the highway.  However absent collissions with cars, and I've never heard of a bison being agressive with a person.

People get gored by bison in Yellowstone every year.  They cause more injuries than any other animal.

Damn Ex Vice Presidents.  :mad:

It's an inconvenient truth.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2009, 12:47:31 PM

A lynx is probably incapable of killing a human being - they don't have the teeth necessary to inflict a fatal wound, unless they managed to fasten on to your neck or something.

A lynx...seriously people. It is a big cat. I don't think I would enjoy a rabid one caoming at me or something, lots of sharp claws and teeth, but they are hardly going to really hurt you beyond some nasty scratches.

Even a house cat can be dangerous enough when sufficiently provoked. I have a $9000 hospital bill and a hand that still hurts when it rains to remind me of that

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2009, 02:11:23 PM:huh:

When bison are spooked, they run. In a big herd. In whatever direction they're facing, which is frequently toward whatever spooked them. And they run fast, 40km/h on flattish ground. I've helped out on a bison ranch a few times. You don't mess with them.

MadBurgerMaker

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on October 30, 2009, 03:34:50 PM

When bison are spooked, they run. In a big herd. In whatever direction they're facing, which is frequently toward whatever spooked them. And they run fast, 40km/h on flattish ground. I've helped out on a bison ranch a few times. You don't mess with them.

Fair enough.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, and in Yellowstone they've been known to turn over cars that have honked at them when they're too close.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jaron on October 30, 2009, 02:10:03 PM
Wtf was this bitch doing in the middle of nowhere walking around? Probably looking for "inspiration" or something. :rolleyes:

She was probably attacked because she was menstruating.
Coyotes, as natural scavengers, will go after a rotten tuna salad sub in a heartbeat.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2009, 07:13:01 PM
Yeah, and in Yellowstone they've been known to turn over cars that have honked at them when they're too close.

And when the Lakers win, of course.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

Quote from: Maximus on October 30, 2009, 03:28:41 PM
Even a house cat can be dangerous enough when sufficiently provoked. I have a $9000 hospital bill and a hand that still hurts when it rains to remind me of that
How in the fuck did you manage that?  You must have been an adult, since you couldn't have run up a $9,000 hospital bill in Canada.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 29, 2009, 09:27:48 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 29, 2009, 09:08:40 PM
I think maybe something happened to her first and the coyotes just defiled her corpse as is their habit with corpses.
If you read the article you would know that other hikers heard her screams for help, came to her aid, and when the authorities arrived she was still alive.

doesn't mean the coyotes weren't preying on her because she'd fallen/been mugged or something and was lying prone and delicious looking.
:p

CountDeMoney

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2009, 04:57:05 PM

Fair enough.

Near Pincher Creek a Bison killed a retired lawyer/oilman in August of this year.  He was out walking in the field and the Bison gored him to death.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/08/02/calgary-man-bison.html