Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

Started by citizen k, October 29, 2009, 03:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2009, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2009, 12:47:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2009, 12:22:48 PM
Lynx are small, secretive and solitary. The average weight of a full grown Canadian Lynx is - a whopping 24 pounds. There are house-cats that size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_lynx

Coyotes are a lot larger, ranging up to 45 pounds, and typically hunt in pairs or family groups.

I agree that, as unlikely as either would be, a coyote is probably more likely to attack a human than a lynx.  After all I've seen lots of coyotes, and my observation of a lynx last week as noteable because it's the first time I've ever seen a lynx for more than a split second, despite their abundance in the wild.

And being attacked by a pack would be more dangerous than a solitary animal.

Nevertheless, if you are going to be attacked by a solitary animal, I would rather it be a coyote than a lynx.  A lynx, if cornered, can be damn mean, plus you have to worry about those claws.

I disagree. One kick and it's done. You may get a lot of nasty scratches, but a lynx simply isn't equipped to kill you unless you are disabled in some way. You, on the other hand, could easily stomp a lynx to death if it was dumb enough to get close to scratch or bite, assuming it stuck around.

The lynx certainly knows that - their invariable habit on seeing a person is, as you know, to run as fast as possible in the other direction.

Not to say lynx aren't dangerous if trapped and *forced* to fight - grabbing a wildcat isn't exactly safe.

But they are not the stuff of nightmares, walking through the woods. If I see a bear, I get afraid - I back away slowly. If I see a coyote, I'm wary. If I see a lynx, I'm just happy - because they are so rarely seen. The thought I'd be *frightened* of one never crossed my mind. 

Indeed. Where there is 1 coyote, there are almost certainly more. I've run into plenty of coyotes in Arizona of course, and while they aren't going to attack an adult, you still need to be careful around them - especially if you are out walking your dog, for example, because they WILL attack a dog.

I've seen a lynx before, in Colorado. Nothing scary about them at all. They look like a big cat, and are extremely skittish.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DisturbedPervert

All the coyotes I've ever seen have been scrawny as hell.  Nothing to be afraid of at all.  Never seen a lynx or a bobcat.  Saw a mountain lion while hiking, that was scary but there was a large group of us and it ran.

Malthus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 30, 2009, 01:08:35 PM
All the coyotes I've ever seen have been scrawny as hell.  Nothing to be afraid of at all.  Never seen a lynx or a bobcat.  Saw a mountain lion while hiking, that was scary but there was a large group of us and it ran.

Mountain lions are considerably larger than lynxes - big males can be up to 200 pounds. That's almost ten times the size of big lynxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_lion
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2009, 12:45:21 PM
Agreed a 24 pound cat is a fatty. But still - on average, a lynx is only about twice the size of a cat in good condition.

People, this is not a tiger.  :lol:
I know.  Never seen one, but I know.  Doesn't mean I'd try to pet it though ;) :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DisturbedPervert

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2009, 12:47:56 PM
Nevertheless, if you are going to be attacked by a solitary animal, I would rather it be a coyote than a lynx.  A lynx, if cornered, can be damn mean, plus you have to worry about those claws.
probably a lot more agile than a coyote, also.  And coyotes are known cowards.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2009, 01:04:50 PM
Indeed. Where there is 1 coyote, there are almost certainly more. I've run into plenty of coyotes in Arizona of course, and while they aren't going to attack an adult, you still need to be careful around them - especially if you are out walking your dog, for example, because they WILL attack a dog.

I've seen a lynx before, in Colorado. Nothing scary about them at all. They look like a big cat, and are extremely skittish.

Pretty well exactly my experience. You see coyotes, you get wary of anything that can be grabbed - if you have a dog, get wary of the dog.

I've only ever seen the rear end of lyxes, disappearing into the bush.

I'll add that I've encountered black bears plenty of times and each encounter was similar - we both backed off and went back the way we came.

The most dangerous animal you are likely to encounter up here is a male moose in mating season. They will *typically* go for you, try to stomp the shit out of you - or at least scare you into running. I've not personally been chased myself, but I've known it to happen to plenty of people I know.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2009, 01:00:54 PM
The lynx certainly knows that - their invariable habit on seeing a person is, as you know, to run as fast as possible in the other direction.
well, nearly all solitary animals have this habit in front of humans.
The only one I can think of that won't run but will either not move or run toward you is a bear, the black ones, the brown ones or the white ones.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2009, 01:19:07 PM
The most dangerous animal you are likely to encounter up here is a male moose in mating season. They will *typically* go for you, try to stomp the shit out of you - or at least scare you into running. I've not personally been chased myself, but I've known it to happen to plenty of people I know.

Moose are dangerous and I avoid getting near them, but I'm far more afraid of bison.

Berkut

I am mostly afraid of killer whales. Those guys are mean.

And bees.

And Ted Kennedy when he is drunk.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on October 30, 2009, 01:33:38 PM
I am mostly afraid of killer whales. Those guys are mean.

And bees.

And Ted Kennedy when he is drunk.

Yeah, but how often do you encounter a Kennedy in its natural habitat? They are an endangered species.  :P

Jaron

Wtf was this bitch doing in the middle of nowhere walking around? Probably looking for "inspiration" or something. :rolleyes:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 30, 2009, 01:32:54 PM
Moose are dangerous and I avoid getting near them, but I'm far more afraid of bison.

:huh:

I'm afraid of bison in that they are huge, dark, and totally unafraid to stand in the middle of the highway.  However absent collissions with cars, and I've never heard of a bison being agressive with a person.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2009, 02:11:23 PM
I'm afraid of bison in that they are huge, dark, and totally unafraid to stand in the middle of the highway.  However absent collissions with cars, and I've never heard of a bison being agressive with a person.

People get gored by bison in Yellowstone every year.  They cause more injuries than any other animal.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 30, 2009, 02:31:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2009, 02:11:23 PM

People get gored by bison in Yellowstone every year.  They cause more injuries than any other animal.

Damn Ex Vice Presidents.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive