Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

Started by citizen k, October 29, 2009, 03:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2009, 01:16:27 PM
Coyotes are cowards which is why they thrive while more aggressive predators have been long since exterminated.
like wolves?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 29, 2009, 11:58:46 AM
Damn.  Why couldn't it have been a fat chick?

Oddly enough, that's what the coyote said.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Kleves

Quote from: Jaron on October 29, 2009, 03:58:24 AM
How strange. I've run into coyotes before while traversing the wilds of California but they flee in terror of me as those mongrels beasts ought to.
Careful what you say, Jaron. Coyotes brought you into this country, and they can take you out.  :contract:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Richard Hakluyt

Coyotes (some of them) are bigger than I thought :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote

"Coyotes typically grow up to 75–87 centimeters (30–34 inches) in length, not counting a tail of 30-40 cm (12-16 in), stand about 58-66 cm (23-26 in) at the shoulder and, on average, weigh from 7–21 kilograms (15–46 pounds).[5][10] Northern coyotes are typically larger than southern subspecies, with the largest coyotes on record weighing 74¾ pounds (33.7 kg) and measuring over five feet in total length."

Assuming that a 21-kilo coyote isn't an overweight lardass then it would certainly be a nasty beast to have a fight with, and quite likely lethal if there were two of them. Of course such a fight is not usually worth it just to get lunch. Which is why even formidable predators like tigers and lions usually leave humans alone.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 29, 2009, 03:37:21 PM
Northern coyotes are typically larger than southern subspecies,

Everything is bigger up north.

Bigger coyotes.
Bigger bears.
Katmai.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

saskganesh

coyotes have replaced wolves, who traditionally kept them in check. they are also breeding with (what is left of the) wolves and wild dogs, meaning some could becoming bigger and more aggro.
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on October 29, 2009, 03:48:12 PM
more aggro.

WoW will nerf them soon.  Its just not fair that races have to use their skills to gain aggro while these guys seem to attract the mobs without any effort at all. :nerd:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

"Coyotes ate my girlfriend".

Is this like a sequel to "A dingo stole my baby"?

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 29, 2009, 07:19:29 AM
I hear them at night.  They infest this area.  One day they will rise up and displace humanity here the way the Jarons are doing in Cali.

Come now. That's pure scaremongering. Most singer-songwriters are gay and thus don't breed.

Martinus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 29, 2009, 11:59:25 AM
There were tons of coyotes where I grew up, but the only thing they ate was cats

Maybe they mistook her for a pussy?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 05:25:34 PM
Come now. That's pure scaremongering. Most singer-songwriters are gay and thus don't breed.

Pfft you think most of everything is gay.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2009, 05:33:55 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2009, 05:25:34 PM

Pfft you think most of everything is gay.

*cough* Rufus Wainwright *cough*