European: Yes
European: No
Asian: Yes
Asian: No
Other: Yes
Other: No

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 18, 2009, 08:22:12 AM
I think I feel the flu assaulting my system. And since I had the regular flu shot, I bet it is the oink variety.

Apparently, it was just gas.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

Quote from: Josephus on November 21, 2009, 12:13:28 PM
My daily paper this morning has a whole article about how this flu is merely a mild variant, and like bird flu, SARS etc, the risk has been overly exaggerated.
You don't say.

DontSayBanana

"OMGOMGNEWPANDEMICWEHAVENOIMMUNITYWEREALLGONNADIE!!1!1

Err...

Actually, we started developing an immunity during a similar strain in '89.  Oops. :blush: "
Experience bij!

saskganesh

hmm. they are recalling 125,000 vaccines because of heightened risk of side effects.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Quote from: Drakken on November 20, 2009, 05:36:30 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on November 20, 2009, 05:03:27 PM
well, I have moved and no longer have proof of address, so I cannot get an OHIP card issued to met yet. therefore no free shot for me until that's all resolved.

Can't you present yourself with another proof of residence, like a phone bill?

all my bills are online or the change in address has yet to take effect.

a

saskganesh

Quote from: Josephus on November 21, 2009, 12:13:28 PM

Hey, Sask...where did you move to?
Ossington/Bloor. this is a one month thing. I will be moving again in the near future, not sure where yet.

Drakken

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 21, 2009, 04:08:34 PM
"OMGOMGNEWPANDEMICWEHAVENOIMMUNITYWEREALLGONNADIE!!1!1

Err...

Actually, we started developing an immunity during a similar strain in '89.  Oops. :blush: "

We didn't. These seasonal flu strains don't "protect" us or grant us immunity, as if we still haven't been exposed to a H1N1 strain before like the older people did.

However, since the epitopes of aH1N1 are in great part similar to several seasonal flu strains since '88 (due to a fluke in recombination), chances are we have been exposed to these strains either by flu infection or serial flu vaccination. With our immune system already having clues on how to fend off this virus our immune system has thus an easier time defending itself, which leads to milder symptoms, especially if you are part of the "younger" part of the age group (like people in their middle to late twenties) because the shorter timespan makes it more likely that out immune system "remembers" the configuration of these antigens.

merithyn

Carter and Jak's best friend is in the hospital with what they think is Swine Flu. He just had open-heart surgery a month ago to replace a leaky valve with a bionic one. (He'd had it replaced when he was much younger, but it was leaking again.) They shipped him up to Milwaukee today from Schaumburg, because I guess his surgeon is up there.

Good thoughts and prayers for this kid, if you all wouldn't mind. He's honestly just one of the best kids you'll ever meet.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Drakken

Shit. I hope he'll be allright, as this flu hits kids very hard.   :console:

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2009, 11:38:15 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2009, 11:27:36 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 12, 2009, 02:44:50 PM

No, I'm high risk. For the last few years, I've had chronic and severe recurring bronchitis (the one thing that finally forced me to quit smoking, or face probable death  :( ).

Doc told me to go, I just didn't wanna face 6 hour lines.

I used to get that, and I never smoked!

Then a couple years ago I had it with "pneumonia-like" complications, whatever the fuck that means, then...nothing since.

I haven't had it at all this fall (knock wood!). Usually, I get it when the weather turns cold, like clockwork.

I dunno if smoking *caused* it, but it sure as shit did not help once I had it.

Yep - exact same thing - generally would gt it around early December or so. It was relaly bad a few times.

I've heard excess weight contributes as well - more pressure on the bronchia, I guess. Although mine stopped before I lost a bunch of weight, so who knows?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

I have a wheezing cough (I am an asthmatic) this morning.... my boss was out sick with flu last week and he now has walking pneumonia. :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on November 22, 2009, 10:55:42 PM
Carter and Jak's best friend is in the hospital with what they think is Swine Flu. He just had open-heart surgery a month ago to replace a leaky valve with a bionic one. (He'd had it replaced when he was much younger, but it was leaking again.) They shipped him up to Milwaukee today from Schaumburg, because I guess his surgeon is up there.

Good thoughts and prayers for this kid, if you all wouldn't mind. He's honestly just one of the best kids you'll ever meet.

Damn, I hope he is ok.

Do you know any more details about his leaky valve? I am curious since Jake had Pulmonary Valve Stenosis (very severe) at birth and had valvular angioplasty at 3 weeks, so his pulmonary valve is susceptible to leaking (although it hasn't been an issue yet), and his doctor has said that it is very possible that he will need a valve replacement at some point.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on November 23, 2009, 10:10:27 AM
Damn, I hope he is ok.

Do you know any more details about his leaky valve? I am curious since Jake had Pulmonary Valve Stenosis (very severe) at birth and had valvular angioplasty at 3 weeks, so his pulmonary valve is susceptible to leaking (although it hasn't been an issue yet), and his doctor has said that it is very possible that he will need a valve replacement at some point.

Turns out it's probably not Swine Flu, just an infection of some sort. He had a fever and now he's spilling bacteria in his urine. Either way, his temp was down yesterday. No word today on how things are, but my gut tells me this could be bad. I so hope I'm wrong. :(

I don't know much about the details on Andrew's valve issues, I'm afraid. I vaguely remember Andrew saying that he had his first surgery when he was little (around six or seven). It was a donor valve, and they knew it wasn't a permanent fix. This latest surgery should have been done six months ago, but the docs kept putting it off. They replaced the donor valve with a bionic one, so now he clicks when the room is quiet. :D

NOTE: For the record, the kids will be getting the vaccination. Their dad asked if they could, and after all of this with Andrew, I said yes. I still don't think it's necessary for them, but it so is not worth taking a chance that Andrew will get it, even though I'm sure he's gotten the vaccine already.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Drakken

Vaccination is now open to the general population in Montreal, plus several parts of Quebec, starting tomorrow. :yeah:

Getting my shot in the morning. Got my boss covering for me.  :)

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on November 22, 2009, 10:55:42 PM

Prayer completed.  Now taking other requests.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017