News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Clarification needed on pre-Roman text

Started by merithyn, October 26, 2009, 09:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

So, a friend of mine sent me a link to a translation of an unbelievable story that supposedly comes from a Roman in ~70 B.C.

http://mvtabilitie.blogspot.com/search/label/Celtic%20Studies

But the thing is, I've never heard of this guy, this story, nor this writing attributed to him. My bullshitometer is flying off the scale. I haven't been able to find any citations for this supposed tale, nor of the author or book.

Can someone else verify that this is a true story? It would, of course, be interesting if so, but I'm not buying it until I see something a little more solid than that guy's blog.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Brazen

Quote from: merithyn on October 26, 2009, 09:11:01 AM
So, a friend of mine sent me a link to a translation of an unbelievable story that supposedly comes from a Roman in ~70 B.C.

http://mvtabilitie.blogspot.com/search/label/Celtic%20Studies

But the thing is, I've never heard of this guy, this story, nor this writing attributed to him. My bullshitometer is flying off the scale. I haven't been able to find any citations for this supposed tale, nor of the author or book.

Can someone else verify that this is a true story? It would, of course, be interesting if so, but I'm not buying it until I see something a little more solid than that guy's blog.
Yup, I call bullshit too. It reads as fiction and even the loosest translation of text from around that time reads nothing like that. You don't get huge tracts of dialogue like that outside plays.

Also, earliest first-person travelogue? Hello, Herodotus?

Jos Theelen

QuoteFrom Atratinus' De Britannia Insula, c. 70 BC: this is the earliest first-person travelogue from the ancient world

Nothing on internet about this book, so I think its bullshit.

Slargos

Quote'I am Speech', said one face.
'I am Dawn', said another.
'Lukii, I am Your Father', said the third, and she pointed again at the Dagodeiwos.

I call bullshit. :thumbsdown:

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Yeah this is as suspect as that Cicero quote American Conservatives use sometimes that actually came from a Kansas City newspaper.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Fake.  As Brazen mentioned, this style of writing is nothing like what contemporary authors produced.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on October 26, 2009, 10:07:56 AM
Yup, I call bullshit too. It reads as fiction and even the loosest translation of text from around that time reads nothing like that. You don't get huge tracts of dialogue like that outside plays.

Also, earliest first-person travelogue? Hello, Herodotus?

That was pretty much what I figured, too.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

[BB] It's true!!!111 God (pbuh) said so!!!!!11111 [/BB]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

Th Druids deserved everything that happened to them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lucidor

Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2009, 10:15:39 AM
Yeah this is as suspect as that Cicero quote American Conservatives use sometimes that actually came from a Kansas City newspaper.
Si vis aliquem nostorum televisionem vidit, credit Obamam insanem?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Lucidor on October 26, 2009, 03:10:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2009, 10:15:39 AM
Si vis aliquem nostorum televisionem vidit, credit Obamam insanem?

FoxNews delenda est.

And yes, I know that is Cato. Eat me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

It's fake.

The giveaway is that there are no furries, which were a highly popular literary trope at the time that were woven into all the period's travel literature.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 26, 2009, 03:00:34 PM
Th Druids deserved everything that happened to them.

I agree.

First they put people into cages and set them on fire. Then they try to pass themselves as a nature-loving bunch of peaceniks and do-gooders.

They are like tories.